BORE CLEANING

peek-at

Hi

I dont tend to get much use out of my rifle at this time of year so I thought I would give the barrel a light coating of oil.

I have a home made 'pullthrough' which isnt much more than a loop on the end of some plastic coated washing line but it would not feed down the length of the barrel. Presumably there are seals etc in the way so I didnt try to force the matter.

Does anyone have any clever tricks for cleaning/oiling the bore?

cheers

I think he only wants to put some oil down the barrel to stop corrosion, but you're right, should rarely ever need to clean the barrel out.

these pads only give a light clean, more like a patch really and remove any surface deposits but tend to leave build up in the rifling. what they also do it spread any oil evenly and thinly enough to avoid any pooling in the breach or sound mod. remember not to use WD40 in the barrel as this dries to toffee.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the filter tip, extra slim for .177, standard for .22

Generally I'm against any form of lube down an airgun barrel as the lead dust on the pellets provides all they need and shouldn't be cleaned out but for storing I'd go with the filter with some gun oil on.