What time of year is best for pigeon shooting?

ROB REYNOLDS UK

I've been pigeon shooting now for about 9 yrs but its always been in the summer months ,mainly on the stubble but this year after clay shooting for over six years of competition clay shooting every sunday ,practice ect iv had enough of standing behind lines of people to get a shot and chucking good money away at some piece of clay,so iv been going out three times a week pigeon and crow shooting and loving it but the best part about it is that its free apart for the shells that is but it would cost me the price of a box of 250 to to get to shoot and then buy my shells as well :lol: and its a lot harder to shoot real pigeons and found they need less lead than a clay most of the time..any way back to what i first wanted to know about pigeon shooting in winter months ect ,do you get just as meny pigeon coming in as it gets colder or more ? i know we have a good time in summer :blink: on some land i shoot over i have beans which some are cut and some not i have winter rape as well never shot over these before what can i expect to see, will i be shooting large bags or small if i can hit them that is? :unsure:

The problem with Winter pigeon shooting, is much the same as the rest of the year.

Where are the birds feeding ?

In recent years the large rape fields have provided easy feeding for them, but this may not be good for the shooter, as the birds are spoilt for choice.

You still have to find the right field, on the right day.

In my area, the birds seem to be spending much more time in the woods and hedgerows in Winter, feeding on berries (mainly ivy and hawthorn) and beech mast, than on the rape fields.

Most of these areas are unshootable, as they are roadside, Public Parks, etc., or part of Game shooting cover.

Winter pigeon shooting is well worth the effort, but its not easy.

PS. I think there are two "gs" in faggot. :unsure:

Big Red Fox, I wonder if he can spell drivel??? :unsure: I`M BACK!!!

Take the R out of drivel and you get DEVIL!! :blink:

I wonder how Cranfield knows there are two Gs in faggot?? :lol:

Seriously though you can get some big bags of pigeons during the winter but with so much OSR about it`s catch -as- catch -can. Pigeons in my area are STILL eating the regrown rape on harvested OSR fields, so it`s a good draw at any time. They aren`t dropping into the dense areas, probably because it`s a bit wet, but they`re looking for patches of dense rape in areas of sparse regrowth.

Personally I`m waiting for the beans and lupins to come off. Also shooting a few on or near muckheaps where they are drinking that dark brown water, Ugh!!

I wonder how Cranfield knows there are two Gs in faggot??

invector, no secret, its called "education". :unsure:

I think this is the definition (one of four), that BOB means.

"fag·got2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fgt)

n. Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man"

rob ,

pigeon shooting in the winter has its pros and cons ! pros being that once the leaves are oFF the trees you can have good sport roost shooting as the pigeons will be in the woods and hedgrows as cranfield pointed out. also i have had some good bags on old maize cover crops that have been mowed flat near the end of the season. pigeons love the sweetcorn in this instant because it will give them a welcome break from rape.

as far as the cons go you will pulling your hair out in rage at trying to chase pigeons all over the vast areas of rape in hope of a decent bag and of course its winter that means wet cold and mud !! long live the summer afternoons spent shooting pigeon :unsure: :blink: :lol::lol:

Cranfield, You know what I mean, education`s got nothing to do with it!! :blink: Is faggotry something of which you have knowledge?? :unsure: Methinks he doth protest too much. :lol:

Big Red Fox, I`m OK mate. Keep walking or I`ll bump into you. :lol:

Edited by invector

as far as the cons go you will pulling your hair out in rage at trying to chase pigeons all over the vast areas of rape in hope of a decent bag

That would be true if he had hair :P:lol:

yes you will find me by the terrier ring :lol: ,,some of the welsh lads as far as i no are going to the pride of the peaks nr ashbourne at pike hall on saturday so im told some working dog show on there. terriers ,lurchers,ferrets,tug of war .beer ect heres a link how to get there its the same day as weston park ??

stay on the a515 out of ashbourne and its a right turn on to the a5102 to pike hall

about 9 mile the other side of ashbourne

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/output...72511175742.png

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

Oh! silly me. I thought we were talking about shooting pigeons? I was just making the point that it doesn`t matter what the crops, wind or weather are if there aren`t any birds. The one piece of information you need when decoying comes from the birds and the guns who are the most successful at decoying are those who watch bird movements all the time.

PROPER RECONNAISSANCE IS NEVER WASTED. Even if you go out with a vehicle full of kit, and the pigeons are not there, time spent with binoculars is time well spent.