Taxidermy

ollie

Hi Guys, I like to do a bit of Taxidermy in my free time as a bit of a hobby, although to be honest I am just a beginner. Anyway, I have a Weasel in the freezer that I think I will start this week. I have got a moulding for the body but what I want to ask is; do you need to cure the skin in the same way you would a fox or rabbit or would it be ok to rub Borax into the skin?

I have in the past with rabbits used a mixture of salt, water and borax for the skins. The reason I asked was borax suitable for the skin was because in a taxidermy book it suggested rubbing borax in the skin for small mammals. If I skinned the weasel and put it back in the freezer would it stay the same size until I got some tanning liquid? This may be a silly question but how much tanning liquid do you need to brush on and is there a process about doing it? Cheers.

Borax isnt a preservative, it stops wee beasties from eating the skin and any little bits of fat or meat that havent been cleaned properly. If you clean birds 100% you dont need to put anything on the skin.

You need the skin to remain supple enough while your working with it, hence the tanning solution. Its just needs brushed on 2 or 3 times, doesnt take a lot. Once skinned, you can refreeze the stoat/weasel for as long as you need. It will shrink a little, but not much. Its best to do it all on the one day.

Cheers for the advice mate. My plan is to lift the weasel out tomorrow, skin it on Wednesday and straight back in the freezer. I have had a look in the Snowdonia catalogue and there is White Tan, white is powder based and you mix it with water, then you bath the skin in it. It makes about 2 gallons worth and is only £14.95, would you recommend this?

No, borax is fine for birds. With mammals you ideally need to tan the skin. Tho you can get away with brushing on a tanning liquid. These can be got from John Hallet, he has an ebay shop......

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/JHT-Taxiderm...3286Q2ec0Q2em57

Hope that helps.

You were correct about John, what a decent guy. He could have wripped me off with tanning oils and instead he advised me of a pickling solution which is half the price and he is sending the recipe along with the order. All my future business will be using his ebay shop.

I've used the tanning kit fro Snowdonia Supplies. It's easy and quick to use, although, I have only used it for fox tails and rabbit /squirrel fur.

John Hallet is a mate of mine, he lives about 2 miles from me. His work is brilliant. I did not know that he had an ebay shop, otherwise he would have had my order instead.

• 2 weeks later...