Duck Pond

Got access to a pond for next season. Shown below, the land above the red line slopes upover. Volume of water varies depending on time of year. Fairly shallow round the edged , with a deeper area in the middle, maybe 4 ft deep. Area is about 40m x 20m.

duckpond.jpg

Mallard and teal use the pond, although I think it has maybe too much weed growth to make it clearly visible as a pond from above.

So, what can I be doing around the pond in terms of vermin control, feeding, general habitat managment to increase its appeal for ducks?

Don't intend to shoot it heavily - just a few nights here and there and see how we get on.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stu

Well cut out asmuch vegetation as possible from the water.

Feed the shallows during the season with barley.

Cull and water hens on there as they can frighten off duck, manage the pike level if you want any ducklings.

Hopefully you dont have mink, but i would seriously reduce your fox numbers as much as poss.

Hope tis help

Beretta

A few tips which might help you! i start feeding late summer mainly barley and sometimes mix in rape seed, teal love rape seed.

feed a little daily and in the shallows and at dusk this gets the incoming flight at the right time of day.

Keep an eye on the food then start adding a bit more if the birds clear up.

At this point its time to have a few nights watching, just far away not to spook birds.

you can soon get a picture of what numbers are coming, maybe get a few more if the weather gets hard like now!

cull out canada geese early on, they hoover up quick we have problems with them and cost you £££s in feed.

As for as shooting tip, dont over shoot it and leave early before the last ducks arrive keeps the corrider open

because ducks like to bring friends along if the pond is good!.

We usually start feeding our pond early/mid August and don't start shooting it until last week in September as we find the ducks are in better shape by that stage. We usually only shoot every 2/3 weeks. We usually only attract Mallard, but we have a problem with hooded crows eating the feeding in the shallows (the depth of the pond drops away quickly so we have to feed close to the edge) so keep an eye on vermin. I usually feed a mixture of wheat & kibled maize, this gets mixed with chopped up veg peelings, rotten veg and crab apples. Good luck :rolleyes:

so for feeding, should i just spread in the margins or is there some sort of feeder i should be using?

Other than clearing weed etc, is there any other habitat improvment i can do?

cheers

Stu

I wouldn't totally clear away all the vegetation from the pond, ducks like to have a bit of cover to roost in. Yes if you feed the margins, as long as you don't feed too deep, i.e. if you think of a Mallard dunking under it shouldn't be out of the reach of their neck. Does your area have a good population of Wildfowl?

If you are intending to keep the pond long term, i would consider some trees.

Willow make a good wind break if they are planted in the preivaling winds, and they grow fast.

looks like the pond has not much shelter, ducks like to get out the weather when its cold and windy .

:good::good: if you saw where we have our pond; on top of the mountain with only a few rush bushes around the side of the pond. The one advantage I would say with trees is that it should keep the birds higher in the air when they are coming into the pond, this will mean in dark evenings that they will still be in the skyline and easier to see.

A fair few duck around. Quite a few areas of water in the vicinity that hold wildfowl.

No problem with Canandas. Normally a few Greylag/Pinks on the ajacent fields in the winter months or flying over regularly.

Will have to see farmer about planting trees. The north side does have a3 ft bank with quite a bit of cover (although the pic doesn't show it) to offer shelter.

cheers

Stu

A fair few duck around. Quite a few areas of water in the vicinity that hold wildfowl.

No problem with Canandas. Normally a few Greylag/Pinks on the ajacent fields in the winter months or flying over regularly.

Will have to see farmer about planting trees. The north side does have a3 ft bank with quite a bit of cover (although the pic doesn't show it) to offer shelter.

cheers

Stu

Depends on the prevailing wind I suppose. You have the potential for a nice shoot for next season, I wish we had a bit more variety in our pond, we only ever get Mallard and as for geese thats rarer than hens teeth :good:

• 2 months later...