Applying for my FAC......

blacta

Guys,

I am about to apply for my FAC, i have a fair bit of rabbiting ground and i was wondering which rifle you would recommend......i would also like to do a bit of target shooting on a low key scale but i enjoy longer distance target shooting. My main thought is .22lr or .17hmr? and is there an obvious recommendation on model?

Many Thanks Toby

As above, Go for both calibres. I have a CZ452 Style in .17hmr and a CZ452 American in .22 both are fantastic rifles, Deadly accurate and really simple to set up. For the money you cant go wrong!!!

Thanks guys but i can only afford one at the moment and at a later i may choose to get the other but for what i stated what would be the one recommendation? i was looking at CZ's they look reasonable! and scopes? Thanks Toby

As already said, go for both. Get yourself a CZ 452 or the new 455. Both good calibres and have their uses. .17 hmr is very flat shooting and good out to quite a long range, but the downside is they are (compared to .22lr) expensive to shoot and noisy.

The .22lr is very quiet with subsonic ammunition and very cheap, but the range is dramatically less than .17 and they dont have a flat trajectory like the little .17.

In my opinion there is no better rabbiting calibre than .22lr

Good luck :P

Bear in mind your FLO will expect you to provide a reason for both, if you apply for both. To say you want them both for rabbiting will lead to a discussion as to why you need both for the same quarry. If your area is agreeable to the idea of HMR for fox (many are not) then you could possibly justify it that way.

Other commons reasons are if you wanted one to kit out with Night Vision.

If you are only buying one then that's fine you can still apply for both but you'd need to justify both.

Personally I'd choose LR over HMR as it's ammo is cheaper, it's loads quieter and will still drop bunnies at 60-80 yards without a problem. If you can't get closer than that, then you'd need to work on your stalking skills as much as your shooting skills.

i think Fox will disapear soon from 17hmr, there are new guidelines about the hummer and fox. the FEO specifically told me i couldnt shoot foxes even though 2 months ago they said i could when i rang.

Get a Sako quad £500 or so and then buy the spare barrel when you want the next cal.

ive just been to see one today and had it put aside for one day this week then the ticket arrives.