Finding Fields

tungsten

:unsure: O.K. so the new lists are out and we all have a new set of fields to work with, but when I go out I always have a niggling doubt about being in the right place and dread the "oh! what the bloody hell do you think you're doing" shout. To be serious, not to be done for armed trespass.

Using the www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap to find the location only gives you a general idea and centers only on the general area finding the 6-9-10... fields where you are supposed to be is a bit hit and miss with only a very general guide on the list like, "all fields opposite the pub". Have tried using Multimap using the SK coordinates (without dash) which does give a better idea, but still some confusion when the red circle fall between 2 fields. Anybody got any better ways of finding the right (and lawful) fields.

Try www.magic.gov.uk

You can zoom into to OS Mastermap level (the most detailed map) and centre on individual fields. Easy to print out too.

the www.magic.gov.uk is good and helps to narrow it down a bit more. Tried to look at OS Mastermap, but couldn't find out where to open it, suspect it's a paid site? am I correct?

with magic/os maps/multimap/ and a wander round on google earth, got to be 99% certain about being in the right place.

Cheers

:good: O.K. so the new lists are out and we all have a new set of fields to work with, but when I go out I always have a niggling doubt about being in the right place and dread the "oh! what the bloody hell do you think you're doing" shout. To be serious, not to be done for armed trespass.

Using the www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap to find the location only gives you a general idea and centers only on the general area finding the 6-9-10... fields where you are supposed to be is a bit hit and miss with only a very general guide on the list like, "all fields opposite the pub". Have tried using Multimap using the SK coordinates (without dash) which does give a better idea, but still some confusion when the red circle fall between 2 fields. Anybody got any better ways of finding the right (and lawful) fields.

So it is not just me then!

I have the same nagging doubt about being on the right field.

I have bought the relevant 'land ranger' maps.

I know what Iam doing as far as map reading is concerned.

But the idea of getting it wrong and looking like a right turnip when the bizzies turn up does make me feel a little uneasey.

Nidge

Right the way i do it is down load multi map put in the ref number and then pint out the field .... :P

dead simple you cannot go wrong :yes:

Yes I have done the same thing with Multimap, but the red ring that indicates the ref sometimes can be in a corner and span 3 fields. I know now for a fact I have shot in the wrong field in the past!

• 1 month later...
:angry: O.K. so the new lists are out and we all have a new set of fields to work with, but when I go out I always have a niggling doubt about being in the right place and dread the "oh! what the bloody hell do you think you're doing" shout. To be serious, not to be done for armed trespass.

Tried knocking on nearest farmhouse (or nearest house in general)door and getting boundaries from landowner or his representative?

be carefull about approaching farmers as your not supposed to. we went to a farm last year and drove threw the farm yard to gain access to a field and he rang mr shooter to say we hadnt stoped to introduce ourslves. so really just play it by ear. dropping out this year to much secrecy for my liking.if you dont put the work in you wont reap any rewards. good luck

be carefull about approaching farmers as your not supposed to. we went to a farm last year and drove threw the farm yard to gain access to a field and he rang mr shooter to say we hadnt stoped to introduce ourslves. so really just play it by ear. dropping out this year to much secrecy for my liking.if you dont put the work in you wont reap any rewards. good luck

too much secrecy???

• 1 month later...
Does anyone use a basic hand held gps something like garmin etrex. Very basic but will confirm the grid ref on the ground ?

I'm planning to use my mobile phone with GPS soon so I'll report back whether I found it useful for location confirmation. Cheers.

Edited by Dr_T

:good: O.K. so the new lists are out and we all have a new set of fields to work with, but when I go out I always have a niggling doubt about being in the right place and dread the "oh! what the bloody hell do you think you're doing" shout. To be serious, not to be done for armed trespass.

If you are worried just go and speak to any farmer in the locality. They know the ins and outs of all the land ownership around them. John wont always know down the phone. I got worried once and just knocked on the farmhouse.

If you are worried just go and speak to any farmer in the locality. They know the ins and outs of all the land ownership around them. John wont always know down the phone. I got worried once and just knocked on the farmhouse.

Get a land ranger map :blink: also use your nozzle and Knock on the farmers door :hmm:

• 1 month later...