Beretta shotguns model numbers...

minghis

I'm confused by Beretta's numbering system.

Is there an idiots guide to how they work - I see there are some 686's called silver pigeons, some onyx's and some are called sporters.

My 686 special is a 28" fixed choke, does this mean that all 686 specials are this configuration? Anyone know why they're called 'special'?

Thanks in advance!

I'm confused by Beretta's numbering system.

Is there an idiots guide to how they work - I see there are some 686's called silver pigeons, some onyx's and some are called sporters.

My 686 special is a 28" fixed choke, does this mean that all 686 specials are this configuration? Anyone know why they're called 'special'?

Thanks in advance!

I have been confused by Beretta numbering forever as well, so if anyone does know how to break the code I'd be interested too!

Amongst other Berettas, I have a 686 Sporting Special 28" (multi choke) from 1991.

I think the "Special" relates to wood, inset initial plate, engraving, etc (probably limited edition) but I'm not sure!! :yes::P

Edited by Dekers

Good gun IMHO the 686 action is the same on all the beretta 680 range just about everything else varies a bit finishes engraving wood barrels etc. The 686 special is a more basic spec game gun they used to make. Don't know what special means but it has all the all the good stuff and not the hefty price tag of the s pigeon etc. Go on the beretta USA site and they have listed the year marks so you can find out when yours was made.