Catch magpie

My advice would be not to start trapping until the end of March, otherwise the call bird will die from exposure during cold weather.

They're not that hard to catch by baiting the catch compartment with eggs to look like a nest, scatter a few eggshells around the trap, also break a fresh egg on top of the trap.

Also, move the trap every couple of days if you've not caught one, they work better if they're elevated a couple of feet off the ground, (on a bale or something similar), but be careful to keep it away from footpaths for obvious reasons.

Cat.

Beg to differ on this one Cat :lol:

I caught an injured magpie last September, & kept him well fed & sheltered all through the winter, he was the best call bird I've ever had, accounted for well over 70 fellow maggies.

I grew so attached to him I let him go free at the end of the trapping season :beer:

SS

kept him well fed & sheltered all through the winter, he was the best call bird I've ever had, accounted for well over 70 fellow maggies.

SS

Doh...........yes, of course they'll survive if they're molly coddled, but birds left twenty four seven in an open cage this time of year simply won't make it if it turns cold.

Speak to B the keeper on the G Estate, he taught me a lot about trapping, that's his golden rule, and he runs 5 or 6 traps continuously from the end of March.

Cat.

Beg to differ on this one Cat :)

I caught an injured magpie last September, & kept him well fed & sheltered all through the winter, he was the best call bird I've ever had, accounted for well over 70 fellow maggies.

I grew so attached to him I let him go free at the end of the trapping season :)

SS

Ha Ha yah big softie, I did the very same last year, a particular call bird lasted all year and I hadn,t the heart to knock it on the head after it had done so well (probably shot it since).

This year wont be a problem for callbirds, I have caught and kept in good condition with Rabbit, bread and wheat four fine specimens.

These have done well in the crowtrap all winter, I did throw a polysheet over during the snow though so that they could feed properly.

I think I will get my Larsens going earlier this year as its so mild here, cant do any harm.

Rgds Rob.