Prescription Dog Food

danddo

Have been feeding, on the advice of the vet, 'Hills Prescription Diet Z/D Low Allergen' for a skin condition, the dog has been on this diet for a month now and it has not made one bit of difference to the skin condition. So back to the vets. In the meantime does anyone know of an equivelant dried food to the one mentioned as the dog loves it, but I am not willing to pay the extortionate price from the vet.

Thanks in advance

Take the ingredients panel from the side of the bag,to your local pet shop and compare to the nearest cheaper alternative.My mrs feeds her dog science plan £17 for a 3kg bag,not convinced its any better than other dried foods ,but hey i know better than to argue over it,otherwise i will be the one in the dog house :good: BB

My dog was on an expensive Hills prescription diet from the vet (I think it was D/D, can't remember exactly) for a bowel condition.

Anyhow, it turns out that its just fish and rice, so I bought a big sack of rice and loads of cans of tuna and mixed up my own - much, much cheaper. Once he'd got better I weaned him onto 'normal' dog food and he's been fine ever since (6 years +)

I have a work mate who used to work for a well know "top end" dog food brand in the product development department. The **** they put into dog food is unreal. He said it is well accepted in the industry that dry dog food causes health problems simply beacuse a dog aint designed to eat the stuff they put into dry food.

Raw meat and occasional bones etc is far healthier.

pedmeds online for your vet foods is cheaper. just bought a 7kg bag of royal caine hypoallergenic for my mother-in-laws dog. it had a lot of problems so had to be on this type of food. we use to buy in though given and take web site as you get cash back for doing it as well as it being cheaper than the vets.

my cocker suffers with skin flaking so we just put in half a tin of sardines in oil with his kibbles. all good now.

this bag of food hasnt been opens and the mother-in-laws dog with put to sleep today. :good: the sack of food was £39 for 7kg :good: so it will go to a dog home i guess as i dont think i could send it back for a refund.

Phil.