Gun Blue

pavman

Did a complete re blue of my U/O barrels last weekend my first attempt.

Got a few rough areas from last year’s wildfowling on salt mash, despite diligent cleaning after each trip. I was pretty pleased with the outcome, but I had to chemically treat 3 times and for longer than stated time to get a nice colour. Its amazing what a difference it makes to the appearance of the gun, although it’s not improved my bag return :thumbs:

pavman

Did a complete re blue of my U/O barrels last weekend my first attempt.

Got a few rough areas from last year’s wildfowling on salt mash, despite diligent cleaning after each trip. I was pretty pleased with the outcome, but I had to chemically treat 3 times and for longer than stated time to get a nice colour. Its amazing what a difference it makes to the appearance of the gun, although it’s not improved my bag return :thumbs:

pavman

Now if you'dve bought that Beretta auto with camo you were talking about you wouldn't ned to do all that and could have spent the w/e shooting instead :sly:

Gents,

the kit was Birchwood/Casey Perma Blue

This is my 20 b SKB, the results looked very good, BUT it did not turn out as good as I thought on the 12b, first trip on the marsh and the normal little rust lines have started to appear, ho hum :*)

pavman

post-18-1129112220.jpg

Edited by pavman

Pavman,

How much of the kit did you use on each gun and what size bottles are they. Am thinking about stripping down the finish on my Beretta 303, and re-buleing it but keep seeing the kits in 3oz bottles and wondering if that is a touch up size or enuf to do a whole barrel & action

Cheers

Trev

Hi Trev

I got the complete re blue kit, seems enough to do around 3 or 4 guns?

mind you, what looked like a cracking job is looking less than puka after just one trip on the marsh, rust coming through already :*) wonder if warming the metal with a hot air blower would have been better?

pavman

I hate to admit it but you may well be right! Highlander :*)

After the bad news of my master eye being taken over on my left side, I am going in for a gun fit Monday to see if anything can be done? Will get a price to re blue as well me thinks

pavman

piebob

re master eye, I was given the standard point the finger test some time back and was deemed to be right master eye shooting off the right shoulder. I am now 43 apparently the time eyes start to fail and change and perhaps glasses need to be worn. I still have very good eyesight but for some reason my left eye is now dominant. I went for a gun fit and check just yesterday to see if things need to be tweaked and the gun smith said most of the problem is between my ears since the optician told me the news and my gun aim was still pretty good but is going to add a little cast to adjust. I guess we all need to check our eyes from time to time but if you are shooting ok don’t mess with it!

pavman

Stu

as far as I know its the chemical in the pot that turns the gun steel blue, and the longer left the deeper blue you get. I would assume that due to the high chrome content of stainless its this that resists the bluing? The very same property that makes it resist rust

Link below may help

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/metalsandall...a/aa071201a.htm

pavmanm

stu,

fluffy johnnies B) :lol::lol:

maybe shrink tube would help, we have some at work in our electronics division, get it in all sizes, just need heat to shrink it on from a hot air gun or hair dryer, just a thought, get it in all colours I think

pavman