using willow to form screening

Hi I have a rather nice pond that holds a few duck, problem I have is that they can see across the fields from the surface of the water.

My thinking is that since I have an abundant supply of willow wands I could possibly plant a screening hedge and prune it back each year to keep it manageable at perhaps 3/4 feet high.

Has anyone done this or got any ideas?

Also any pointers on the construction of a resting island (8ftx8ft) able to support turf/grass etc would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob.

willow will work but have you many deer as they can stop it getting established, when cutting back its also better to cut back low to the ground but they have a good root structure so grow very fast. I'd say you would be better letting it get higher than that and almost coppicing it for firewood every couple of years

Thank you all for the replies, the length of hedging would be approx 75/100 yds long and I am wondering if it would provide a thick enough screen to obscure the line of guns?

The idea of allowing them to grow taller would be good to lift the duck higher and also stop the wind blowing across the pond.

What might a "fedge" be, or did you hit the wrong key?

Have sorted the island idea using sleepers and half submerged plastic drums, should work well.

Has anyone any ideas/advice on call ducks please? Seems a shame to provide a 5star island residence and not have tenants lol.

Rgds Rob.

Is this a permanant structure. If so I think your talking about a Fedge!

sorry to disagree......its called a Thedge.........i should no.........did willow weaving and structures for years.........never made any money at it though

Edited by reaper6

Thank you all for the replies, the length of hedging would be approx 75/100 yds long and I am wondering if it would provide a thick enough screen to obscure the line of guns?

The idea of allowing them to grow taller would be good to lift the duck higher and also stop the wind blowing across the pond.

What might a "fedge" be, or did you hit the wrong key?

Have sorted the island idea using sleepers and half submerged plastic drums, should work well.

Has anyone any ideas/advice on call ducks please? Seems a shame to provide a 5star island residence and not have tenants lol.

Rgds Rob.

when you plant it you usually plant two rows, usually its just short whips that you plant and put a rabbit guard on, then cut down to ground level after a year and they then come back as multistems. If you want shelter you could plant them 3 or 4 wide and cut at different times, what you need to remember is it is deciduous so in the winter when you want the cover they won't have leaves on so just the stems to hide you. It won't be easy and you are probably talking 3 years before it works properly. But they should be a good 8 feet by then and well established,

when you plant it you usually plant two rows, usually its just short whips that you plant and put a rabbit guard on, then cut down to ground level after a year and they then come back as multistems. If you want shelter you could plant them 3 or 4 wide and cut at different times, what you need to remember is it is deciduous so in the winter when you want the cover they won't have leaves on so just the stems to hide you. It won't be easy and you are probably talking 3 years before it works properly. But they should be a good 8 feet by then and well established,

Yes got the general idea, when you say short whips are these to include the growing tips or cut from the base up?

Cheers Rob.