Squirrel Trap

SSS

Having being beaten for the first time today by a squirrel, I want to make a trap box to take a fenn trap.

I guess the trap will sit in the bottom of the box, with a hole in the top.

What I am worried about though is catching non-target species.

Any ideas on a plan or where to get hold of plans?

Also, what bait do you guys use for squirrels?

All the very best,

SSS :good:

Apparently peanut butter on bread works well. I've had some fruit type loaf baited in mine this week. But nothing so far. You do end up trapping non target species. So far I've trapped a hedgehog and a magpie. The hedgehog was released straight away :good:

Having being beaten for the first time today by a squirrel, I want to make a trap box to take a fenn trap.

I guess the trap will sit in the bottom of the box, with a hole in the top.

What I am worried about though is catching non-target species.

Any ideas on a plan or where to get hold of plans?

Also, what bait do you guys use for squirrels?

All the very best,

Hi make a wooden tunnel big enouh to take the fen trap with out fear of it touch the wood work when it goes off, about two foot long. secure it to a fallen tree to aviod non targets, Bait with peanuts or dog biskets.

Squirrels love to run along fallen trees, not sure why, might put them up out of the way of predators and give them a better vantage point.

Hope this helps.

ATB Clynt

So you dont recommend on a tree with a drey in?

There is one pine tree with a drey in the top and it is used very regularly as a path to the tree tops.

All the best,

place about shoulder height up a tree in an area with evidence of squizzas,(broken shells on tree stumps etc).make a box just slightly larger than a fenn mk4 this will ensure a humane kill as they have to drop on the plate and not catch a just a leg.remember to staple the ring of the fenn to the box so it is not dragged away and not stolen.make the box with a approx 1.5 inch hole in the side at the top with a removeable lid and just place a sprinkling of corn around and a few bits on the plate, this will keep fresh for a few weeks. :good:

Thanks harv, I shall get making tomorrow and see how I get on.

I was told by someone to use whole hazelnuts, do these work any better?

All the best :good:

i wouldnt worry too much about bait,they are so inquisitive and a bit thick they will go in guaranteed, ours catch all year long the majority of time unbaited.

pm me an email address if you want some photos and ill take some on my rounds :good:

i wouldnt worry too much about bait,they are so inquisitive and a bit thick they will go in guaranteed, ours catch all year long the majority of time unbaited.

pm me an email address if you want some photos and ill take some on my rounds :good:

Thanks harv, PM on its way

I would rather get it right first time.

All the best,