Gun stock finish

Ive just finished removing the varnish of my remington 700 mountain stock, sanded up and finished with wire wool, re-checkered and ready for the oil, what would be the best oil to use. The wood is a red colour.

Ive been using Napier London Gunstock finish, it wont make it red but you could buy some waterbased mahogany or wallnut dye if needed, then use the oil. It has colour enhancers in. Makes a really good finish and really easy to apply. It is far better than the tru oil that I had used previously!

Ive been using Napier London Gunstock finish, it wont make it red but you could buy some waterbased mahogany or wallnut dye if needed, then use the oil. It has colour enhancers in. Makes a really good finish and really easy to apply. It is far better than the tru oil that I had used previously!

I haven't had any problems and had good results with TRU-OIL...What did you find wrong with it??....Ive nearly finished this bottle and was going to try the Napier stuff...we sell it at work,Seems like a tiny bottle in the kit tho compared to the amount you get with tru-oil....

Hi,

I use a mixture of Tru-oil and boiled linseed oil as I found neat Tru-oil dries to fast to a shiny finish. By cutting it down with some linseed it gives it more of a traditional oil finish which I prefer - give it a few very thin coats before cutting it back - I use the scotchgard grey pads rather than 0000 wire wool, which can leave traces of the wire in the stock.

You could also get some rottenstone to fill in the 'holes' in the grain. Mix it up with some of the oil finish, wipe it on, then wipe it off. Leave to dry. Then put more coats of the oil on, repeat until happy. ;-)

Hi,

I use a mixture of Tru-oil and boiled linseed oil as I found neat Tru-oil dries to fast to a shiny finish. By cutting it down with some linseed it gives it more of a traditional oil finish which I prefer - give it a few very thin coats before cutting it back - I use the scotchgard grey pads rather than 0000 wire wool, which can leave traces of the wire in the stock.

You could also get some rottenstone to fill in the 'holes' in the grain. Mix it up with some of the oil finish, wipe it on, then wipe it off. Leave to dry. Then put more coats of the oil on, repeat until happy. ;-)

what mix of tru oil to linseed do you use? 50/50?

• 4 weeks later...