gun cabinet installation problems

mattc83

hi guys

just bought a shotgun cabinet and only realised when i made the holes that all the walls in my house are plasterboard. im a bit stuck on how to fit it to the wall as the fittings iv got wont hold it :oops:

anyone came across the problem or have any ideas

matt

I had just the same issue. I was advised NOT to break through laters until I reached the outert brickwork - to do so would essentially break all the vapour barriers that exist. It really wouldn't be very easy to get right through to the brickwork and use resin solutions anyway.

My solution agreed with the FEO was to lay the cabinet down on the floor. If you have solid floors - great! If you don't then you'll need to screw down into the joists - that's what I did. I drilled extra holes in the back of the cabinet in the right places and then used eight 100mm long, 10mm diameter coach screws. It is more secure than wall fixings would be I tell you!

If you PM me an email address I could send you photos if that would be of any help.

There is excellent guidance available at Police guidelines. These even define the minimum size fixing you should use for floor fixing to timber joists see para 2.11

Please really think hard before potentially damaging the integrity of the construction of your house - many people will advise you to do things that would be very wrong and very costly to resolve. The worst suggestion I received was from an FEO (not the one that did my inspection) who said he would insist that I drew around the cabinet, cut away an apature in the plasterboard and the timber behind and then fixing to the external brickwork. That would have resulted in a broken vapour barrier and condensation inside and on the door of the cabinet itself. Thankfully the more local FEO who visited me had more sense and OK'd my joist fixing without any hesitation. Job done.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by shoughton

Please really think hard before potentially damaging the integrity of the construction of your house - many people will advise you to do things that would be very wrong and very costly to resolve. The worst suggestion I received was from an FEO (not the one that did my inspection) who said he would insist that I drew around the cabinet, cut away an apature in the plasterboard and the timber behind and then fixing to the external brickwork. That would have resulted in a broken vapour barrier and condensation inside and on the door of the cabinet itself.

Good luck,

Steve

good info steve and never thought or heard anyone mention that before. :blush:

al

• 2 weeks later...

ok this is interesting! I have a similar problem, i have just moved into a flat with a new job but all the walls are lagged and plastered (i think an old hay loft conversion) and the floors are completely covered in carpet and then nailed down mdf board. its going to be difficult to secure the cabinet without causing alot of damage!

Below are stables, but these obviously dont lock up at night, i dont suppose you could fix it in there?

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks for help.

hmm i have fixed stuff to most walls and new builds are a pain, you need to know your wall contruction and choose the correct fixings there will be a solution floor fixings most likely, carpet rolls up and as long as you dont have under floor heating! Some pics would help

Edited by HDAV