Is size everything?

Big Dog

With all the talk about my accuracy problem, which I think I have sorted for now, it has got me thinking about the barrel length and if I would be better to shorting it, would this also improve accuracy etc.

Background : Ruger 77/22 (bolt) All Weather .22LR (s.steel)

The barrel is 20" and with the moderator = 26".

I "think" I have read that a rimfire only requires 16" to burn off power and this is all you need in length.

To shorten the gun by 4" would make it very handy. Althought I have question unanswered:

1. Is it true 16" is all you need?

2. Are there risks to shortening the barrel - less accuracy etc?

3. Will it affect longer ranges or reduce range and accuracy?

4. Is it a guessing game and you won't know till you try it, or is it more sientific?

5. If you do get a barrel shortened, what are the key steps to ensure the integrity of the gun?

6. Finally, should I let the sleeping dog alone?

As usual the best answer get a Mars bar B)

Ive had a quick scoot on the Ruger website and the only difference I can see is that the Bolt Action 77/22 only comes in a 20" barrel with a 1:14" twist. The 10/22 comes in 16 1/8, 18 1/2, 20 & 24" but all have a 1:16 twist. That almost seems to be reverse in my mind but there you go. Either way you get more twist on your rifle so I reckon your good to go. I think i'd be sending an email to ruger just to be sure though.

Regards,

Axe.

Shortened my Sako Finnfire to 16 inches and it actually shoots better than it did prior to chopping it down.

A .22 rf only needs 16 inches to burn all the power and is already spinning up to speed, so the length of the barrel is irrelevant. Makes for a much handier rifle to use with the moderator on it. B)

G.M.

Don`t know about just chopping your barrel down to 16", without machining the crown, but CZ have just started making a .22 with a 16" barrel. They certainly didn`t just shorten the barrel but use purpose made shorter billets to make them!!

Edit: Extra text re crown.

Edited by invector

york shooting supplies have been chopping rimmy's down for years to 16", it seems to be the shortedt you can have it

im not sure there is any accuracy gain, just makes it lighter

one thing to make sure you do, is have it re crowned properly, if it is badly recrowned it will never shoot well.

My Anschutz 1416 .22lr is with the gunsmith at the moment being shortened to 16 1/2 inches. When i asked him about doing it he said he would have to measure the diameter of the bore because Anschutz do put some choking on some of their barrels, he measured mine and said no there was no choking so he would be able to shorten it without causing any problems either in accuracy or velocity.

£65.00 including re-crown, re-proof barrel and proof moderator which i thought was a bargain. It's being done by Steve Jones,Trent Firearms in the Potteries. I allways buy my ammo from him, last lot was Remmington Premier, 17hmr i think it was about £85.00 for 500. I phoned the place where i purchased the rifle from about 2 years ago and they wanted £148.00 for 500, this is what i paid for my first lot from there, since then they have almost halved in price.

When the gun comes back i will do some groups and let you know how it shoots.

Peck that would be good to see.

Good tips there guys. I have a couple of more question to help me understand better.

What is re-crowning the barrel mean??

Do the guys that shorten barrels re- proof them??

Peck did yoo have to get the modorator proof too?? and if so why??

I think I may email Ruger

Bigdog, re crowning is where the muzzle end of the barrel is chamfered, usually 11 degrees in towards the bore, the reason they are re crowned is that it helps remove burrs from the end of the barrel where it was shortened and also helps prevent the end of the barrel bore from being damaged. Some people will even have new rifles recrowned if they think it may improve accuracy.

The barrel will be shortened by a gunsmith but the proofing will be done by a proof house, there is one in Birmingham another in London, there may be others as well.

The reason the moderator is being proofed is that it was not proofed when i bought it. When i bought it i said i wanted it for an air rifle so it did not need to be proofed, so even though it was not proofed it was perfectly safe to use on the 22lr. The only real need to get a 22 mod proofed is so that you can sell it for use on a 22lr. You can have a moderator on a 22lr without it being proofed but you cannot sell a moderator for use on a 22lr unless its been proofed.

Have a look at varmint al's web pages, they are a welth of info, plus there are lots of links to other gun related sites as well. Here's the link B) http://www.varmintal.net/index.htm

Shorter barell = stiffer barrel in effect!

Stiffer barell = less harmonic vibration when the bullet exits the muzzle = accuracy gain.

I bought a Volquartsen short, ie 16'', match chambered barell for my Ruger 10/22 and I have to say it was £200 well spent. My accuracy increased no end with the new barell.

Rob.