1st air rifle for experienced shooter

Daniel western

After shooting friends air rifles for the past few years I've decided I'd like to buy my own I've searched around and looked at reviews and would like to know what guns you would recommend. I would like;

.22 (as this is what my friends have), around £100-£150. Other less important things are silenced/suppressed (But I can buy one extra if not), repeater and included scope.

Also if I have a scope on how long would it take to attach/detach and is it a simple job?

Forgot to mention: It will be for a mixture of target shooting and hunting

Edited by Daniel western

Daniel.You probably will need to stretch your budget a bit to get a fairly good combo I'm afraid mate.My advice is to go for a decent Weihrauch spring rifle-these rifles will perform extremely well and you could pick up a good secondhand one for a reasonable price.

ATB in you search mate.

Edited by bullet boy

What have your mates advised you and what have you learnt fom them??

How often do you plan on changing your scope for £100-£150 total.

Sorry chap, but, I'm just not understanding what this post is about!!

Hope you get sorted and find whatever it is you are after>>

ATB!! :good:

Hi Daniel,i think for £150 you're going to be missing out on buying a very decent second hand springer combo (weihrauch preferably or maybe a BSA). if you can stretch your budget to £250ish you should be able to find a HW97k or aHW77 (cheaper) with scope and still have a bit of change for extras such as a gunbag, sling and some tins of pellets.These are very reliable rifles -i have a 97k and it is blinding, i went the same route as you by asking advice on the forums and was recommended this rifle. i bided my time and eventually managed to pick up a year old combi for £160.This was very cheap though because the seller was keen to sell in order to buy more ferreting gear-the normal range is between £180 to £250 BUT if you keep looking you will be able to find a good deal.

As to a new rifle, i have heard some good things about the AGS SPR10 models, these are break barrels and new to the market.They are also cheap at £110. this will then leave you enough for a scope and mounts. I have to say though, at that price don't expect to get the performance of a wh.

As to the question of how easy is it to set a scope on a rifle, the answer is , very easy, but there is a way to locking it on so that it doesn't 'twist' whilst fitting. i have the february issue of Airgun world which has a performance review of the AGS as well as a newbies guide to fitting mounts and scopes. if you haven't already got it then pm me and i can send it on to you.

All the best mate, Will.

Guest cookoff013

each user has their own unique requirements,

i started off with a fx2000 pcp. loved it, but hated charging gear.

i traded it in for a theoben mfr. i liked that too, it was more independent (more shots) but still it was attached to the bottle.

i sold that, and bought a venom HW80. i couldnt be more pleased. it is accurate, and nice to shoot.

it took me ages to work out what gun i wanted. it turned out to be the cheapest on from all the ones i bought.

completely independent. with the tuned gun, i`ll never sell it, its the gun i`ve had the longest, i`ve had it longer than all my other airguns put together.

i should have bought one 15 years ago when i had the chance.

what is right for you isnt right for someone else.

Iv Have shot and owned many air rifles of all makes and calibers. I would recommend Hw77 / 97 hw 80. These 3 guns are more for the stronger person as being a little heavy, about 7lb with out scope attached. Out of all the springer rilfes iv shot, these 3 really stood out as tough no nonsense work horses. I'm sure if you can push your budget a little further to the £250/ £300 mark you could pick one these rifles up with a decent scope and gun bag. If possilble, try and get a carbine version of the model your going to buy. Their ideal if you do hide shooting for sitting pigeons or roost shooting and other tight places you may end up shooting from. What ever you buy though, i hope you enjoy it and it does the job aquired of it. all best.

Gareth :good:;)

hi there, the hw's must be good guns as all you hear is good things about them so they would be a great choice, dont know what you guys think of the gammo hunter 440 but i had one i got for my

lad cost me £100 and was in mint condition and with a decent scope on it the lad dropped many rabbits with it only sold it because he wanted a pcp didn't have any probs with it

colin

Thanks for your replies I'm not looking for all those features just some the scope and silencer can be bought later as we won't be going out again until it gets warmer. Also does anyone know about the Crossman king Ratcatcher, the Berreta Cx4 Storm or the Kral Demon Underlever.

hi daniel the crossman ratter is a great fun gun, but thats it,fun.The advise that has been given ,ie,HW range of springers is well good but dont rule out BSA or SMK these are with in your budget

dont bother with either of them stick to the above advice or you will be dissapointed

Hiya, I would agree with that advice...get an HW80...theres a few around on t'internet at the moment... a great gun, and you should get one for your budget...mibbes not with silencers etc etc, but you can add on to it as you go... :rolleyes:

In fact, I swapped one with Dogger for a charging bottle,....its up for sale now...think it was £120 posted...a cracking gun too..fired like a newbie...:lol:

Good luck in the hunt mate..:lol:

Edited by Norrie