Need a new knife

ollie

Hey all I have decided to invest on a new knife. it will generally be only used for paunching/skinning rabbits so don't want to spend a fortune on one. Would appreciate your views and where the best place is to buy them.

Hey all I have decided to invest on a new knife. it will generally be only used for paunching/skinning rabbits so don't want to spend a fortune on one. Would appreciate your views and where the best place is to buy them.

Opinel... sharp as ******* and cheap as chips so no big disaster if it gets lost in field... average between £6-£8 each.. :blush:

Opinel... sharp as ******* and cheap as chips so no big disaster if it gets lost in field... average between £6-£8 each.. :blush:

Definitely-I have an Opinel No 7 which cost just over a fiver a couple of months ago (From Ronnie Sunshines if I remember rightly). I gave it a quick sharpen on a fine oil stone and you could now shave with it if you wanted, and it holds it's edge well. I find it is perfect for skinning and gutting rabbits and fits neatly into the pocket and it would not cause a major heartbreak if you were to lose it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuhn-Rikon-Nonstic...g/dp/B000I25UTQ

Less than £4 if you can get one from a local shop.

I've just used mine to gralloch, skin and butcher a roe. After each use I sharpen it using either crossed ceramic sticks or a small stone. Mine's the yellow one - easy to find if I drop it.

Edited by brno223

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuhn-Rikon-Nonstic...g/dp/B000I25UTQ

Less than £4 if you can get one from a local shop.

I've just used mine to gralloch, skin and butcher a roe. After each use I sharpen it using either crossed ceramic sticks or a small stone. Mine's the yellow one - easy to find if I drop it.

Ditto :angry: I have one in my rifle case all the time and have skinned a muntjac with it, also got the yellow one for night time fumbling and they are so cheap you wouldn't really care if you lost it. The other cool things are you can slip it in the dishwasher for hygiene and the plastic sheath makes it safe to carry.

I have had the foul lime green one in my kitchen for over a year which does all my small chopping jobs, they take a nice edge too.

Opinel are good but the carbon steel can taint food and if its get covered in guts they are a ****** to clean.