Using dead woodies as decoys??

Scott82

Hey all.

Fairly new to decoying and hoping for general opinions.....

When using dead pigeons as decoys, how do you arrange them/make them look natural?

My 85 year old grandfather-in-law has advised breaking their neck and removing their eye lids so they look as though they are looking up to birds coming over.

What do you do?

Any advice gratefully received, Scott

NB. While posting this I've had a feeling that I might have read that real decoys shouldn't be used - although it might have said LIVE decoys should not be used..... obviously (you'd hope)

Edited by Scott82

I would forget your grandads advice :blush:

Buy some bird cradles (shootwarehouse) or get some garden canes about 1metre long. Sharpen the ends, snap the pigeons wings close to the body, then slide the cane up through the vent (****) through the body and into the head. Stick the cane into the ground at abot 45 degrees. The wings should move in the breeze :blush:

I would forget your grandads advice :blush:

Buy some bird cradles (shootwarehouse) or get some garden canes about 1metre long. Sharpen the ends, snap the pigeons wings close to the body, then slide the cane up through the vent (****) through the body and into the head. Stick the cane into the ground at abot 45 degrees. The wings should move in the breeze :blush:

Ok thanks. Does that ruin the meat if i wanted to eat it?

On short crops (early rape,peas and drillings) I just place the dead bird on the ground, wings at its side and prop its head up with a piece of bent wire.

When the crop gets higher I use the dead bird cradle, or lay the bird on the crop.

I have heard the "broken neck, cut eyelids off" advice for many years, but have never met anyone that actually does it and can't imagine it has any advantages.