just another canada

dan the gun

Cant see my FEO allowing Geese on my FAC, how did you get them on yours or are you claiming they are vermin under the general licence and you have a permisison to get rid of birds causing crop damage, interested to know :devil:

yes mate just as you said vermin

can ya shoot all geese with rifles? or just canadians?

not to sure to be honest mate but as canadiand are vermin they can be shot

yes mate just as you said vermin

not to sure to be honest mate but as canadiand are vermin they can be shot

Are you absolutely certain about that?

Yes they may be a pest, yes they may be a nuisance, but they are not classed as vermin.

Furthermore....if your rifle magazine is capable of holding more than 2 rounds then this is another law you are breaking

under Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Edited by Browning

Firstly they are NOT Canadian, they ARE CANADA GEESE. It is a species not where they are from. Perhaps you ought to brush up a little before blasting everything in sight because you think you can.

Secondly CANADA GEESE are not vermin, they are not classed as vermin. They are WILDFOWL. You are permitted to shoot them under the terms of the general licence which basically means they have to be a nuisance and YOU have to be able to demonstrate that ALL non lethal methods have failed. Not just rock up in a field and shoot a couple when there are only 4 there to start with.

If there were thousands in a field trampling crops and you had tried scaring them away with gas bangers or banger ropes then yes shoot them by all means.

Are you absolutely certain about that?

Yes they may be a pest, yes they may be a nuisance, but they are not classed as vermin.

Furthermore....if your rifle magazine is capable of holding more than 2 rounds then this is another law you are breaking

under Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

I believe he's fine because there is an exemption on the general license, as for goose pasties being better than maccy D's not sure on that one, one is made of decent cuts of British beef the other could be a 10 year old goose :lol:

Fundamentally there is nothing legally wrong here but at this time of year probably ethically wrong, the speed crops are growing at the moment I'd be amazed if they are devastating it but some pics would of course quieten the doubters

I believe he's fine because there is an exemption on the general license, as for goose pasties being better than maccy D's not sure on that one, one is made of decent cuts of British beef the other could be a 10 year old goose :lol:

Fundamentally there is nothing legally wrong here but at this time of year probably ethically wrong, the speed crops are growing at the moment I'd be amazed if they are devastating it but some pics would of course quieten the doubters

On such matters I would check the legal staus prior myself...... (it sounds like you may have already?) I would suggest it may be unwise for others to go out and do likewise on the strength of what is thought to be OK, as far as I am concerned I have doubts about this one..... I am not Criticising just exercising caution, I suspect Anti would also take a keen iterest

Has anyone checked with BASC?

I stand corrected,

I have just read and re read the general licence and it would seem that as Canada geese are considered not to be native you do NOT have to demonstrate that all other methods have failed.

It seems that a pigeon has higher status than the Canada Goose according to Natural England. I still do not agree with it and firmly believe that shooting 2 out of 4 is and will always be wrong because those 4 weren't really causing a nuisance.

On such matters I would check the legal staus prior myself...... (it sounds like you may have already?) I would suggest it may be unwise for others to go out and do likewise on the strength of what is thought to be OK, as far as I am concerned I have doubts about this one..... I am not Criticising just exercising caution, I suspect Anti would also take a keen iterest

Has anyone checked with BASC?

As published on my local forces website, the specific license mentioned is the General one I believe, while they are on the general license they are legal with a rifle, if they weren't then it would be illegal. Same goes for section 5 shotguns you can shoot species on the general license but nothing else.

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

Shooters should acquaint themselves with The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (WCA) and comply accordingly. Particular note should be made of the restriction imposed by Section 5, which makes it an offence to use an automatic or semi-automatic weapon which has a magazine capacity of more than two rounds, to kill any wild bird. The definition also encompasses Section 1 (Firearms Act 1968 as amended) pump-action and semiautomatic shotguns, and any rifles whether bolt-action, pump-action or semiautomatic, with such magazines, including air weapons. However, a person will not be guilty of this offence if they have obtained a specific licence for themselves from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) - 0845 601 4523 (general enquiries). Any person committing this offence may also commit an offence of failing to comply with the conditions of his/her firearm certificate if he/she is only authorised for vermin control.

I don't quite know if I am reading that right but the way I understand that is that you cannot use any gun which is capable of holding more than 2 rounds in the magazine.

Also it states that you have to have the species listed on your conditions, Vermin control is not adequate. Unless you have applied for the correct licence. Why are these bloody rules and regs not straight forward?

Al4x,

I assume you mean Section 1 shotguns?

I did mean section 1, it is illegal unless you have a DEFRA license to shoot any bird with a section 1, but having the license lets you do it so basically anything on the license which is the general one can be shot. The wordings bull but it sort of makes sense! otherwise section 1's would be illegal for shooting pigeons and as we know they aren't

It might be different up here?

Yes, it is. The General Licences published by Natural England have no bearing in Scotland, and Canada geese are not on the General Licence up here so can not be killed out of season unless you apply for your own licence.

You need to go to the Scottish Exec site for Scottish General Licences here

Edited by Piebob

Nothing to do with crop protetction if the truth be told. He fancied shooting it with his rifle so he did. Some people will shoot anything that moves, thats just the way it is. Same as the ones with rifles that have to shoot every fox they see.