What started you shooting

Shuck.

What was your first shooting experience with  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What was your first shooting experience with?

• Air guns
    • Shotguns
    • Smallbore rifles
    • Fullbore rifles
    • Other (state below)

In the 60s my uncle gave me a WW2 revolver that was broken. I swapped that for a black GAT gun that fired, got a thrashing from my dad for breaking a couple of windows in the greenhouse - I didn't think it was powerful enough to do it :lol:

I joined the Air Training Corps whilst at school and used to go to Rainham Marshes shooting an ex WW2 .303 and a Bren gun. We also used to shoot .22 rifles at RAF Stanmore indoor range. I was forced to shoot the .303 off my right shoulder - I'm left handed and left master eyed and couldn't hit a barn door. The .22 I was allowed to shoot off my left shoulder, loading was difficult for me as that was on the right (wrong) side but my shooting improved dramatically. When I first went to work for Post Office Telephones as an apprentice I discovered that quite a few telephone exchanges had small bore ranges in the basement so continued with that, just using club rifles.

It wasn't until 1977, and aged 26, that I took up shotgun shooting and haven't stopped since.