My Furthest 1.77 shot with sub 12lbs

clubb699

Hi lads,

We arrived at the permission that backs onto the owners house at 6 oclock, both got set up and started walking up the ramp 2 meteres to the back field and straight away there were 2 rabbits in the distance one ran the other bent down to feed, luckly we were on a slope that leads to the field so i got down and took up position not having a rabbit for a long time i was bit excited but managed to keep carm and think what im doing.

I was watching the rabbit trying my hardest to judge the distance it was further than anything i have ever even thought of shooted at before, something just seemed right this time i held the gun hovering the mili dots over its head 1 dot then 1 and half then 2 dot i could not decide and was not firing at this point, the rabbit was looking up and then going back to feed un aware me and Nitro were watching him.

This went on for a about a min then i took a strong hold of the gun using the ground as a support the rabbit looked up i moved to the decided 1.5 mili dot and squizzed the trigger, believe me this is a shot i will never never forgot, the rabbit did its curl over and leg twitching i turned and looked at Nitro ran over to the rabbit it was out for the count, i have just googled the distance and to my amazment the shot was 55 to 58 yards :)

Whats the furthest shot you have took a rabbit with a sub 12lbs air rifle, me and Nitro heads are both done in lol ???

One very happy chap The .177 Scorpion never lets me down i never took a pic as we rushed back to get ready for our first rabbit stew well done Nitro for you kill aswell :hmm::yes:

Thanks for reading

Clubb699

Edited by clubb699

cool,i wasnt being funny or nothing just genuinely did not understand :)

Yeah not a problem at all, i would love to see some feed back to the longest distance that a .177 pellet as travel and killed under 12lbs power the shot last night took it out instant i cant help but think what power it might have hit the rabbit at, and how far these air rifles can go.

I must add before someone says something the shot i took last night was a hit or miss as i was aiming at the head only with body out the way just for the record :hmm:

I woke this morning and could not stop thinking about it its like i lost my V plates all over again hehehe what a great hobby.

clubb699

ok im getting ready to get slated for this lol

if your gun is 11.55 flb using a 8.4 grain pellet

then at

55 yards the pellet will hit target with 6.002 flb

75 yards the pellet will hit target with 4.730 flb

to take a rabbit they recommend 4lb of energy for a clean kill

so

hypothetically speaking a 12 flb air rifle in 177 using the above figgers can kill to 84 yards

then at

so

hypothetically speaking a 12 flb air rifle in 177 using the above figgers can kill to 84 yards

Bloody hell interesting information thanks for sharing that :)

then at

so

Nothing wrong with the theory as such, the problem comes with execution.

There are too many variables about shooting those sort of distances with 12ft lb, very few ever practice enough at those distances or use a range finder as would be essential.

I have more than enough power to bring down a deer at 1000 yards with some of my tools, but I don't have the expertise to do it! :):hmm:

ATB!!

BASC advice says ..

Suitable air rifles for hunting

Always ensure that your air rifle is powerful enough to achieve a clean kill of your chosen quarry and do not attempt a shot of more than 30 metres. Generally the ideal power level is just over 11 ft lb (15J). For an air rifle that is more powerful than 12 ft lb, (16.25J) you must have a firearm certificate.

Not a criticism of the OP, just my observation of good practice

Yeah great feedback and discussion i fully respect all feedback some very good points and information. Was it right or wrong well seems to late for this case it seemed to work out very right so maybe this is part of the never ending learning curve of this great hobby.

Anyway Nitros coming round and its time for the first attempt of skinning and prep for the pot cant wait heeeeelp lol :D

clubb699

Edited by clubb699

mine was with hw100 177. webley mosquito pellet at exactly 64 yards. laser range finder shot of the front of a Quad =]

I used the same pellet there amazing never let me down :D rabbits skinned gutted and preped for the oven what a great experience :lol:

Edited by clubb699

I took a rabbit at 60yards once, but I'm not particularly proud of it. It was the end of a **** evening and I hadn't seen anything in range, and was just about to pack up and saw this big fella coming out of his burrow. I was desperate to have a go and it was a still evening, and I succumbed to the temptation - first time I'd ever used that mildot on my .22, and thankfully the rabbit fell instantly. But at that range, with my hand on my heart, I reckon the chance of me wounding the animal was too high and I should never have taken it.

Having said that, if the BASC advice is to stick to 30yds and under, I'd say that was a bit conservative. My gun (.177 now) is zeroed at 35yds, scope at x10, and the gun's on a bipod - I'm very confident about any shooting any rabbit at 35-40yds on a calm day.

How up to date is the BASC`s research 30yds/mtr is probably a good recomendation for a springer or an average pcp shooter.

Technology has moved on though, just think back to the eighties when there were none or very few full power airguns, the scopes available were designed to be used on centrefire guns, no px settings and pellet choice was very limited.

Todays Pcps are state of the art design, scopes are designed specifically for airguns, range finders are more available/affordable and pellets are computer designed.

Airgunners are more responsible now (they have to be with all the bad press around) they practise more often, you can now shoot in your garden and not annoy the neighbours if you use a good sound moderator. A good many airgunners are members of FT clubs who regularly set targets out between 40 and 50 yards to encourage marksmanship at distance.

In the end the decission to take the shot rests with the shooter, but if he has confidence in his ability and kit then we may see the kill distance increase a little more,

Edited by lineshooter