Pheasant feeder variations

Ive been using the spiral spring type feeders on the bottom of my hoppers for the last couple of seasons for feeding pellets and wheat, this year though im going to be feeding maize as well as wheat and pellets. The maize is too large to be able to drop through the gaps of the spring so was looking at trying the Pan feeder thats availible as a replacement for the spring. Has anyone tried using these and if so are they any good?

Thanks Matt

Ive been using the spiral spring type feeders on the bottom of my hoppers for the last couple of seasons for feeding pellets and wheat, this year though im going to be feeding maize as well as wheat and pellets. The maize is too large to be able to drop through the gaps of the spring so was looking at trying the Pan feeder thats availible as a replacement for the spring. Has anyone tried using these and if so are they any good?

Thanks Matt

Pan feeders work fine, provided that the pan doesn't fill with rain water; badger love em.

Look up the Wright feeder, they work well with most feeds, but not 2.5mm diameter pellets, and are virtually badger proof.

I would suggest that you consider pan feeders in the release pen, with a few other types of feeders so that the birds get used to alternatives, and have Wright feeders in other feed areas.

webber

Thanks Matt

I thought the point with the spring feeders was you could weight them to open the coils for larger grain (or was it just pull

them out) thats what I think the salesman said while he was taking my money.

these were same as the last lot I bought

I thought the point with the spring feeders was you could weight them to open the coils for larger grain (or was it just pull

them out) thats what I think the salesman said while he was taking my money.

these were same as the last lot I bought

Ive havnt tried that, and it sounds a good idea but with maize being all different sizes i think you would have a problem with the larger grains getting stuck and blocking it up.

Ive had a look at those "Wright feeders." They look good, will have to find out the diameter of the holes to see if there ok for maize.

Ive havnt tried that, and it sounds a good idea but with maize being all different sizes i think you would have a problem with the larger grains getting stuck and blocking it up.

Ive had a look at those "Wright feeders." They look good, will have to find out the diameter of the holes to see if there ok for maize.

Feed split maize rather then whole maize and you can get away with using standard Sycon spirals and the birds won't know the difference. The cheap chinese made spirals with the plastic mounting plates are to tight on the coils for feeding either split or whole maize..

Edited by JackReady

I use a combination of spirral/pan feeders around the estate with just wheat in them.

But in the main feed rides,or feed points i also hand cast a mixture of wheat and kibble maize a ruff guide of 3 buckets of wheat to 1 bucket of maize or bags pheasants and especialy redlegs they love it.I start feeding it to them about 16 weeks and keep them on it right throw the season, the only thing you have to watch with feeding maize is that if its wet it goes of quickly (into mush) so its a good idea to feed it somewhere a bit dryer.

Hope that helps

Verminator69