Barrel Sight Removal

mrthumb

Hi guys, need advice on removeing a front sight from the barrel of a Steyr SSG 69 mannlicher.

Iv removed what I could do see if there was any alan keys from which is was tapped into the barrel but nothing. any infomation would be great.

thanks, Tom.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8129/cimg0009mn.jpg

Edited by mrthumb

Its proberbly soldered on and if so will have to heated to remove it . I would leave it on the rifle ,unless it is in the way of the scope . You dont see many rifles now a days with iron sights . They can be very handy .

Harnser .

interesting. so i could remove it by heating up the sight.

my mate dont want it on there. plus hes gonna have it threaded at some stage.

anyone else care to add on the best way to do this?

anyone else care to add on the best way to do this?

Very carefully! How much is the gun worth? Removing the foresight will almost certainly decrease its value. Generally as Harnser says they are silver soldered to the barrel. You can get it off with a propane torch, ideally using MAPP gas, but it is going to need rebluing afterwards unless you want to live with a strip of silver at the end of the barrel. If you plan on having it threaded then it probably isn't an issue but you do not want to get the barrel glowing. Frankly I would keep it as it is but if you really must.....

Very carefully! How much is the gun worth? Removing the foresight will almost certainly decrease its value. Generally as Harnser says they are silver soldered to the barrel. You can get it off with a propane torch, ideally using MAPP gas, but it is going to need rebluing afterwards unless you want to live with a strip of silver at the end of the barrel. If you plan on having it threaded then it probably isn't an issue but you do not want to get the barrel glowing. Frankly I would keep it as it is but if you really must.....

he just paid 1100 for it. i have mapp gas, and im sure we can purchase the blueing agents if i put the heat onto the sight only while pulling it it should not put too much heat into the barrell. do you agree?

he just paid 1100 for it. i have mapp gas, and im sure we can purchase the blueing agents if i put the heat onto the sight only while pulling it it should not put too much heat into the barrell. do you agree?

Silver solder, or brazing if you prefer, is fairly easy to remove. But you want to concentrate the heat on the sight and not the barrel as much as possible. That said in order for the silver to bond both parts have to be at the melting point of the silver alloy which is probably around 1200f. Gunsmiths tend to use oxy-acetylene for this as the high temperature means it is generally quicker than propane to get the heat where you want it. If you're careful it should be fine.

As for rebluing it. I think if you are planning on cold blue I wouldn't bother myself. You will have to use some kind of abrasive to take the silver off and get the barrel back to bare metal. The only way to do a proper bluing job is to polish the metal and hot blue it. Since you plan on fitting a moderator I would leave it as is and cut the threads over the part where the foresight was.

• 2 weeks later...
:(

I agree with Stevo, silver solder should be correctly called silver brazing, it takes a lot of heat and a special flux to get it to run, I'm fearfull you will damage a perfectly good rifle.

ok guys despite our better judgement we went ahead and done it.

the sights come off quite easly after a dose of mapp gas on the sights only and a little tapping with a hammer. this left us with some unblued parts. when we lightly sanded it down and re blued it, it was alot shinier type of bluing than the original.

so now we are going to put the barrel in a lathe and smooth off the barrel and reblue the whole barrel.

ill put a picture up when were done.