Range finding and holdover for a .22LR on bunnies

safetyfirst

At .22 distances you should be able to range find accurately enough by eye, except in the dark when you always think things are further away than they are.

As has been said there normally isn't time to ping every target, if you probably wouldn't get to shoot much.

I do own a rangefinder, and if think my judgement is out I carry it when out walking about and test myself until I am happy it is good enough to shoot again.

I can count the times on one hand I have taken out in the field shooting, and from memory two of those would have been on new ground sat in a highseat with not much else to do.

Having just read the above post, I should aslo state my .22 has a 7x fixed scope, I think people using variables and zooming in/out all the time are just making it harder on themselves.

Thanks for all the answers guys, I've concluded:

1. Zero my scope for 65 yards then find out what ranges 1 2 and 3 mildots give me

2. Pick a shoot point for every bunny zone and stick some marker pegs out along the range

This is good for "shooting gallery" bunnies but not great for improving my hunting skills.

3. Get a rangefinder for a while and use it until I know how far away things are!

Many thanks,

Chris.

Does your rangefinder tell you what holdover to use as well?

no, thats why i memorised a ballistics chart (poi for 40 yards, 60, 80, 100, 120, 140) - were being quite pedantic today mc, is that a dummy i see sailing over my head?? :hmm:

when my 10/22 was zeroed at 80 yards it was 2.5 inches high at 40 yards, dropped about 3.5 inches at 100 yards, 8.5 inches at 120 yards and 15 inches at 140 yards. considering how difficult it is to tell the difference (accurately) between 120 yards and 140 yards (which is a difference of 6.5 inches) thats one hell of a miss if i dont have the range spot on as i usually try for headshots :blush:

now if i remember right the op said his range finding skills are terrible, whats simpler than pressing a button on a range finder and having an instant range? especially if (like me) you have an open licence, and could end up anywhere :/ also i dont know what you mean about carrying a load of kit about, the range finder i have is an older model, and a bit bulkier than the newer ones admittedly, but smaller than an average sized pair of binoculars and fits easily into the side pocket on a pair of trousers. as for carrying graphs about, would you ever wise the head up, if you cant remember 6 simple sets of numbers (40 = +2.5, 60 = +2, 80 = 0, 100 = -3.5, 120 = -8.5 and 140 = -15) then what bloody chance have you got of remembering what size a rabbits head looks at through the scope at different ranges :good::yes: :yes:

as i previousley said i used my 10/22 for long range shooting, now ive got the 17hmr itll mostly be close stuff (under 60 yards) so wont need a range finder for that, but if the op only has the one rifle theres no point limiting himself to close ranges due to not being able to work out correct drop and range!! :hmm:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd