Cartridge Ballastics?

Was wondering if anyone could advise or point me in the direction of some ballastics info for a typical 12g shotgun cartridge... no reason other than curious.

Ive got a good handle on how an air rifle pellet and a small rimfire bullet behaves (courtesy of chairgun and having shot them) but I'm quite new to shotguns. We were out last night and tried a pattern plate on a sheet of 3.6mm ply - I was surprised at how little the shot penetrated the board... some barely passing through it - shot at 30 paces.

Just want to understand a little more to help my shooting.

Thanks in advance

In no 6 shot there's around 270 pellets (according to the sticky), so the energy has to be distributed between them all, bigger shot would mean less pellets and more energy being carried over at point of impact. :rolleyes:

different cartridges will have differing ballistical properties.

In no 6 shot there's around 270 pellets (according to the sticky), so the energy has to be distributed between them all, bigger shot would mean less pellets and more energy being carried over at point of impact. :(

different cartridges will have differing ballistical properties.

Spot on advice :yes: