Shooting tomorrow - best time to start

ferretmanabu

ALL DEPENDS ON WEATHER REALLY 700.-730 AM,IF ITS OVERCAST IT TAKES A BIT LONGER,

IF YOU HAVE BEEN KEEPING AN EYE ON THE FIELD AND YOU KNOW WHERE THE BIRDS ARE FEEDING ,WIND DIRECTION ECT I LIKE TO GET DECOYS OUT AND HIDE UP BEFORE IT BREAKS LIGHT ,SOON AS ITS LIGHT BIRDS START MOVING ABOUT LOOKING FOR FEED AND THEY COME STRAIGHT IN TO THE PICTURE ,GOOD LUCK ANYWAY HOPE YOU HAVE A GGOD DAY

Remmy,

You've made a good point - I prefer an early start - if you've done your homework you'll know where to put your hide, and the first hour or two can be pretty brisk sport.

Others prefer to start later, as they say it disturbs the birds less, and they're more likely to return.

Double H

P.S. - It's not the done thing to post in caps.

I generally set up around 10am, but if you can only shoot say one day a week and you want a mad hour or so, then first light is OK. When the clocks go back I switch to 9am which is the original `pigeon time` of 10am.

One problem with early starts is when the weather changes overnight and so does the pigeons`routine of the previous day. They may be concentrating on getting out of the wind, in a hollow or in the lee of a hedge, but with less wind the next day may change their feeding pattern. I much prefer to get out about an hour before I wish to set up so that I can watch where they are for that day.

Went 4 a quick decoying session yesterday after clay shooting. Was 1:30 by by time i got set up on rape bagged 22 in 2hrs was happy with that. The birds have changed what there eating this week, started on an old spud field that is coverd in chickweed, they love the stuff. Must be 600 on there but a local game syndicate has the land so the rape i was shooting on was bout 1/4 mile away but they are flighting over it to get to spud field. So chickweed must be tastier than rape ??