long(ish) range shot with the HMR

crieffy

I think this is about the longest shot I've taken from a standing position. Lasered it at 146 yards after taking the shot. There was only a slight wind from 6 o'clock, and I'd been laid up for half an hour picking off 15 bunnies at similar ranges so was pretty confident.

rabbit.jpg

I was also asked by the farmer to shoot a couple of great black-backed gulls which had been attacking his sheep. Up til then I'd never shot one before and wouldn't normally consider it, but he'd had 4 ewes killed and another 2 blinded and wounded, with the loss of all their lambs too :good: They're very wary birds and prefer to sit on high points so it took quite a long trek to get into position - eventually got one of them and returned a few hours later and got another. One happy farmer :yes:

John

Edited by crieffy

Gutted-would have liked one for my Ruger 10/22 but they are in the US!

They shipped mine for around £35 3 years ago. The 10/22 ones come 99% finished I think, so just a wee bit of sanding to do and then put some oil or laquer on to it :good:

You can get something similar in the UK from rudefatdog.com or rimfiremagic.co.uk. I had a Barracuda on my old 10/22 - very very very comfy stock :yes:

They shipped mine for around £35 3 years ago. The 10/22 ones come 99% finished I think, so just a wee bit of sanding to do and then put some oil or laquer on to it :good:

You can get something similar in the UK from rudefatdog.com or rimfiremagic.co.uk. I had a Barracuda on my old 10/22 - very very very comfy stock :yes:

Got a Hogue Stock on my Ruger at the mo.It does the job really well but my favourite Stock has to be the silver laminate that you got.I`ll search around in the UK for one.

Thankyou.

Nice shooting indeed; out of interest what's your preferred zero range for your .17?

mines 100yds hit rabbits at 150+ easy

ps download hawke ballistic reticle calculater, gives you bullet drop on all cals

Same here, well I think it is, may have been 125 yards. Depending on the wind strength I'm comfortable taking most shots to 175 yards. If it's really strong and gusty from around 3 o'clock I'll usually stick below 150.

I've got a ballistic calculator on my watch, which is pretty useful if I'm trying a longer shot.

Same here, well I think it is, may have been 125 yards. Depending on the wind strength I'm comfortable taking most shots to 175 yards. If it's really strong and gusty from around 3 o'clock I'll usually stick below 150.

I've got a ballistic calculator on my watch, which is pretty useful if I'm trying a longer shot.

Hmm, that's 30 yards further than I zero at. Are you going for head shots at that range or just anywhere on the body? I tend to shoot to sell or eat so for me it's all head shots you see.

Hmm, that's 30 yards further than I zero at. Are you going for head shots at that range or just anywhere on the body? I tend to shoot to sell or eat so for me it's all head shots you see.

I just do pest control for a few farmers, so will go for a chest shot for the longest range ones. Anything under 130ish though and I usually still try head-shots. My sister likes to eat a few, and so does her greyhound - though he does a pretty good job of catching his own :(

That's a relief, I was starting to feel a little inadequate. I always struggle to cleanly head shoot bunnies over 100 yards, I just wobble too much off the sticks to get anything close to accurate, as a result I tend to only go for shots 90 yards and under; hence the 70 yard zero.

Thanks for an honest reply!

Edited by mick miller