Howa 1500 .223REM experiences

CZ550Kevlar

I`m looking to replace my .223 REM and have the slot open on my ticket, i have seen a Howa 1500 Black synthetic with a 6-24 x 50 ZOS scope for £520, been on the range only firing approx 500 standard loads.

Has anyone had any experience of this rifle as i have never really heard of them in any detail also is that about the right price as i can`t find much info on ZOs scopes either.

Got exactly the same rifle mate. As someone said its a bit annoying not having a detachable mag but you soon get used to it. Apart from that the rifle is excellent, reliable, accurate and cheap. I went with the hogue stock because I couldn't bare the thought of scratching that laminate stock in the field, lovely as it looks I'd have been forvever watching out for branches lol. Also you can't have the light sporter barrel in the laminate stock whereas you can have both barrel types on the hogue.

I looked at buying one a while ago, and for the money, they seem good quality.

I was put off by an RFD when he told me to buy a secondhand tikka instead and get better quality.

Its always a difficult decision, but for £500, I wouldn't complain.

All the best :good:

I looked at buying one a while ago, and for the money, they seem good quality.

I was put off by an RFD when he told me to buy a secondhand tikka instead and get better quality.

Its always a difficult decision, but for £500, I wouldn't complain.

The quality of the Howa is as good as any I've seen. So did he sell you a Tikka?

No mate, I didn't buy any, I'm still in the market. I looked at a weatherby vanguard aswell which seems a well put together rifle.

I'm not knocking the howas by a long shot because with a predator 8 mod and scope for £700ish is a bloody good deal, and is still a possible option.

No mate, I didn't buy any, I'm still in the market. I looked at a weatherby vanguard aswell which seems a well put together rifle.

I'm not knocking the howas by a long shot because with a predator 8 mod and scope for £700ish is a bloody good deal, and is still a possible option.

Howa make the wetherby vanguard for wetherby. I's put mine against a Remy any day but no doubt the gucci gun snobs will say that the remy is **** as well.

I know they're made in the same factory, but I didn't realise they were made by howa, if that makes any sense :good:

The trouble is, there is too much choice, and I have just spent all of my money on a new truck, so at the minute, a new rifle is out of the question!

I know they're made in the same factory, but I didn't realise they were made by howa, if that makes any sense :good:

The trouble is, there is too much choice, and I have just spent all of my money on a new truck, so at the minute, a new rifle is out of the question!

If you get the chance try as many different ones as you can. maybe the right one for you may not be the one you expect. Wherever possible forget the make and try for the right fit that shoots well for you.

I looked at and very nearly bought a CZ 550, which was a nice gun, but I was put off on that because it wasn't screwcut. I am just being too fussy I think.

I have used Tikkas, CZ's, Weatherby's and a steyr so far, but you are right, I need to keep looking and the right one will come along. :good:

I looked at and very nearly bought a CZ 550, which was a nice gun, but I was put off on that because it wasn't screwcut. I am just being too fussy I think.

I have used Tikkas, CZ's, Weatherby's and a steyr so far, but you are right, I need to keep looking and the right one will come along. :good:

I've got the vangaurd and it's a really good rifle, and when you read there history they have an extremely good heritage....

(also watching that video on here the other day with various blocked barrels i think the howa/weatherby came out very well against rifles twice the price...was a bit disappointed with the rem though :good: )

Gixer