not all club members are like this... are they?

went to a farm where i have been shooting fairly regulary on the rape through the winter yesterday with my mate. when we got there there was another motor there we thought they cant be shooting as the fields they were parked at are about 2ft high and in flower whereas the one we were going to shoot has not done very well and is only about 8ins high at its best and bare in quite a few places so commonsense should tell anyone with half a brain to shoot this one. within 5 mins of being there this bloke with more chins than a chinese phone book appears, no hello mate just "who are you you got permission to be here". yes i said " well were such and such pigeon club and we booked these two fields" the ones that are 2ft high and in flower wheres the sense in that we thought when they should be on the one thats short and seeing obvious attention from the pigeons. he then told us that the pigeons were not decoying and they had only shot 2 on the wing all day ( did this mean they shoot em sitting when they decoy) it was getting on for 4pm by now so we set up on the short field and had em dropping in straight away. after about 6 or 7 shots they started packing up bowling about the rape picking up thier gear then left.we shot till 6.30 and picked up 27. maybe if he had not acted like he owned the place and been so arrogant we might not had botherd to shoot but they were clearly not in the right place so we did.when we packed up we had alook where they had been and could see that they had dammaged a fair bit where they had been which we made sure we would not get the blame for. my mate also had a run in with another member from this same club a couple of weeks ago when he and another mate were on some peas in seperate hides a few hundred yds apart this bloke set up between them because he had booked the field and was going to shoot it whatever even though he ****** it up for them. surely not all pigeon club members are all the gear and no idea and think they have the god given right to set up between 2 people already there because he booked the field.

blimey,i`m glad i do not have that to contend with.

not nice people at all and you did well to refrain from saying something to them that they would not like.

sounds to me like do not have a clue or know how to be polite,something that does go a long way with alot of people.

al

Edited by albob

blimey,i`m glad i do not have that to contend with.

not nice people at all and you did well to refrain from saying something to them that they would not like.

sounds to me like do not have a clue or know how to be polite,something that does go a long way with alot of people.

al

Your right there albob, Ignorant!! And as damaging crops as well The farmer can't be to pleased with that! These clubs seem to think they rule the Roost (no pun intended) because they pay to pigeon shoot. If they got off there lazy *****'s actually worked to get there permissions maybe they would respect it a bit more!!!!

Not the most favourable meeting with a fellow pigeon shooter. I am member of an essex club and on some of our grounds other guns not in our club have permission to shoot, we normaly chat if possible and work out whats going to be best for all, we dont take offence or have attitude even if they have got the pole position before us ( maybe a curse to ourselves for not getting there earlyier :good:

Our members have had the odd run in with a fair weather drill shooters that got the hump because we got on the drill that they have been watching and waiting for at home in the front of their tv all winter.

Our fields are never "booked" even amoungst ourselves , we are only a small club so not got any members that big with so many chins.

The right thing to do to report any crop damage to the farmer as well as their attitude, in the end the farmer wants his crops protected to his benefit without damage and hassle.

which club was it?

not sure if i should name the club but it was one of the bigger ones in the essex area. im not knocking all members but whenever ive come across any they do seem to have an attitude 2 yrs ago i turned up to shoot some peas that were in flower had been shooting them since they were drilled and the surrounding rape all winter and had not seen anyonelse. this bloke pulls up same thing " who are you you got permission to be here" yes i say " who are you" " ********* pigeon club i was gonna shoot here today" and drove off with the hump even though the field was 70 plus acres loads of room for 2 people. this club no longer shoots this farm as the farmer said they only turn up for drillings and fair weather shooting and are a waste of time. thankfully i do shoot another couple of farms that clubs do not one i share with a couple of other people and we get on fine no attitudes at all.

Never had a run in with a pigeon club as we don`t have any or very few in Kent, but had plenty of times when i turned up to a field and had someone else with permission come wandering along wanting to shoot it too, they are usually respectfull enough to listen to what has been going on and reach a strategy where everyone can get a good days shooting in, there are a couple of lads who only have 3 fields of a farmer i shoot for where i have his full 24, that being the case i`m fine with them helping me load my gear let them have the field then i go off to a neighbouring field they can`t shoot on and work between us moving the pigeons.

All it needs is a little respect and thought for others in this game and maybe through that our shooting will be more enjoyable and fruitfull.