Rifle Shooting techniques

Tank

Hi PWers,

I've recently had a operation on my back though should, in theory, have nothing to do with how shaky I am. Usually I'm pretty steady and can shoot reasonably well from a standing position, however, since the op I have been far more shaky. I suspect this is mainly due to the muscle wastage that happened while waiting for the op, but I figured this is as good a time as any to try to strengthen the muscles needed for a steady stance.

So, my question is, what tips and tricks do people use to help themselves shoot straight? Are there any exercises that people to in order to strengthen the muscles needed for a steady hold? Any other ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Tank

I would have thought doing a few weights mainly with your left arm (assuming you are right handed) would help.

If I am doing a few driven days towards the back end of the season I do this as my shotgun weighs a fair, especially when stood for an hour or so holding it.

By weights, I mean get a dumbell in your hand, arm straight down by your side, then bring it up to touch the front of your shoulder and slowly lower it down keeping your elbow touching your side all the time.

I always stop breathing to take the shot, but hold your breath in. It is far easier to hold your breath in than holding it out. I use the rythum of my breathing up and down to settle on the target and stop when it is correct.

If you need to aim for longer than 5 seconds then look away and start again.

The trigger finger should apply gentle pressure to the trigger and it almost should be a suprise when the rifle fires.

Breathe in, out then iiiiiinnnnn...... bang.

longer controlled breaths are just as steady as holding it in and can be kept indefinitly :good:

if you're having problems shaking, holding your breath will probably make it worse :lol:

Edited by Shuck.

start from takeing your sight picture. then as you breath in you will notice that your rifle will raise up as you breathe in then lower as you breathe out. now what i do then is when i exhale i do it slowly untill my cross hairs meet with the target, then hold your breath and then in that steady pause gently pull the trigger and follow through on the shot by keeping the cross hairs central on the target even after the shot for bout 1 sec.

hope this helps :good:

Always shoot on the 'bottom' of your breath, you would be suprised at the movement on a .22 target rifle @ 25 yards if you hold a deep breath in, you heart beat is far more pronounced.

Slowly exhale out then shoot, don't hold your breath out for too long as it becomes a strain and you start to wobble.

I breathe in, fix the target as I exhale, breathe in, then exhale slowly and controlled and take the shot then, as the cross-hairs line up on the target.

Edit: I used to take it holding my breath, but found it rushed the time had in which to take the shot, and that as i came to take it my heartbeat quickened as i worried about whether i had the right aim, making steadying far harder

H.

Edited by Horrocks

start from takeing your sight picture. then as you breath in you will notice that your rifle will raise up as you breathe in then lower as you breathe out. now what i do then is when i exhale i do it slowly untill my cross hairs meet with the target, then hold your breath and then in that steady pause gently pull the trigger and follow through on the shot by keeping the cross hairs central on the target even after the shot for bout 1 sec.

hope this helps :stupid:

i use this technique just to take the one shot and train with because you tend to use your muscles longer and you can feel them being used or strained as you take multiple shots

when i used to do national championships shooting reactive targets you would be there shooting one stage constant for 2-3 minnutes. everything goes out the window then. so i then do everything on the exhale and reaload on the inhale

I always stop breathing to take the shot, but hold your breath in. It is far easier to hold your breath in than holding it out. I use the rythum of my breathing up and down to settle on the target and stop when it is correct.

If you need to aim for longer than 5 seconds then look away and start again.

The trigger finger should apply gentle pressure to the trigger and it almost should be a suprise when the rifle fires.

Yes exactly MC, this is the exact technique that I need to learn. It's almost as if I am expecting the shot and the recoil so I always snatch the triger and the shot placement goes left and low.