Can anyone help?

Tony12

Hi all

Right to cut a long story short I used to shoot left handed but due to an operation almost 3 years ago to remove a tumour from the back of my left eye I now have to shoot right handed due to not being able to see out of my left eye much.

I can shoot rifles no problem, obviously because you only need one eye. But with shotguns I seemed to be getting on ok, up until February when on both beaters and keepers days I made a complete hash of what were good days.

So, can anyone recommend methods or products that will help me improve my shooting? Because all I'm doing is keep wasting time and also money on cartridges and seem to be getting no better.

Cheers

Tony

A friend of mine and local RFD had a cataract in his right eye so he started to shoot left handed after shooting for over 50 years right handed. He said the hardest thing was getting your trigger finger to work instinctively. He said you actually have to think out loud to get the oppsite hand to pull the trigger, whereas shooting righthanded it just seems to happen.

He has now had his eye done and is back shooting right handed.

Hi all

Right to cut a long story short I used to shoot left handed but due to an operation almost 3 years ago to remove a tumour from the back of my left eye I now have to shoot right handed due to not being able to see out of my left eye much.

I can shoot rifles no problem, obviously because you only need one eye. But with shotguns I seemed to be getting on ok, up until February when on both beaters and keepers days I made a complete hash of what were good days.

So, can anyone recommend methods or products that will help me improve my shooting? Because all I'm doing is keep wasting time and also money on cartridges and seem to be getting no better.

Cheers

Tony

If you shoot naturally left-handed, don't try to switch to right=handed.

Have a cross-over stock fitted to your gun so that you can shoot from your left shoulder using your right eye.

A lot of people have to use that type of stock if their master eye is on the opposite side from their normal "handedness".

I think you will find that much easier than trying to shoot off the other shoulder.

Jim.

What jimbo57 said is best.

Get the stock changed as if you had a master right eye (which in effect is the situation now) and shoot left handed as usual. I'm sure this would be much more confortable than switching to shooting right handed.

Well Tony i am about to do the same thing (start shooting left handed due to left master eye) I haven't done a huge amount right handed but mounting the gun left handed felt awful and i decided to try and stick right handed. I went to get the gun fitted recently and the gunsmith (also an AA class shooter and GB coach) decided i would be better shooting left handed... after half an hour he had me mounting the gun left handed and far more comfortably than before his theory is to dry mount the gun lots over a week before taking a shot in order to build up muscles and get used to the feel shooting wrong handed too soon will put you backwards he suggested a couple of hours a night for a week of mounting the gun 2-3 times every time you do something (while boiling kettle, after TV show or during if missus etc will allow then after a week of solid practice it will feel easier and more natural then have a lesson with actual cartridges.

If you have a left handed gun at the moment with a lot of cast you may need to consider some stock work but if its mostly straight and fits no need.

I agree, its best to shoot off the shoulder you feel most comfortable with.

I am left handed and shoot left handed but have a right master eye.

A X over stock is one option indeed and not one i have used due to cost to have built and then the lower potential re-sale value of the shotgun later, however, if that is the best option for you don't let me stop you!

A system I have found most effective - for me - is the Easy Hit optic bead that fits onto the shotgun.

David