Big Roe Buck

redthunder

Hi, I went for a stalk on the weekend to try and slot a buck for the table :o after having an invite of a friend in whiltsire. We arrived at the farm about 6pm and went for a walk around the farm, looking for signs of deer :hmm: we got to a part of the farm were it touches a small wood there was plenty of slots about so i was feeling lucky :P so i set up about 140 yards from the wood and sat back to have a fag and chill as it was a warm evening just as i finished my fag i noticed in the corner of my eye a deer had come out and was feeding so after a quick check with the bino's i could see a nice looking buck :yes: i looked at my invite as i thought he'd never let me take such a fine looking buck :huh: He looked over and said fill your boots ;) are you sure i said he said ye take the shot when your ready :yes: I got down on my belly and scoped the buck my heart was going ten to the dozen i let the .243 rip slap the buck hit the deck i reloaded and watched as the buck lay there after a minute i unloaded the rifle and went over to check my prize :yes: as i got close i was shocked at how big this roe was i thanked my invite :( he said no worries here's a couple of photos what do think of the head ???

post-3340-1271782787.jpg

Edited by redthunder

Hi, I went for a stalk on the weekend to try and slot a buck for the table :o after having an invite of a friend in whiltsire. We arrived at the farm about 6pm and went for a walk around the farm, looking for signs of deer :hmm: we got to a part of the farm were it touches a small wood there was plenty of slots about so i was feeling lucky :P so i set up about 140 yards from the wood and sat back to have a fag and chill as it was a warm evening just as i finished my fag i noticed in the corner of my eye a deer had come out and was feeding so after a quick check with the bino's i could see a nice looking buck :yes: i looked at my invite as i thought he'd never let me take such a fine looking buck :huh: He looked over and said fill your boots ;) are you sure i said he said ye take the shot when your ready :yes: I got down on my belly and scoped the buck my heart was going ten to the dozen i let the .243 rip slap the buck hit the deck i reloaded and watched as the buck lay there after a minute i unloaded the rifle and went over to check my prize :yes: as i got close i was shocked at how big this roe was i thanked my invite :( he said no worries here's a couple of photos what do think of the head ???

post-3340-1271784034.jpg

post-3340-1271802515.jpg

Edited by redthunder

Nice head that RH, I don't know enough about Roe to say whether it is a medal or not but the guide is in here somewhere:

http://www.cic-wildlife.org/uploads/media/red_book.pdf

and here is the UK contact

http://www.cictrophy.com/

But if you go to any decent game fair the BDS or BASC should be able to measure it for you.

a cracking buck there :lol: looks to be a medal :lol: prepare the head keeping the upper jaw intact with the skull, you can then get it measured at the cla or midland game fair :D

To late i boiled the head yesturday and cut under the nostrils back past the eye socket :good::lol:

Edited by redthunder

Post a pic of it when its done.In needs to weigh as stated,around the 360 mark,although its not a rule weight.Deductions for the cut will have to be taken off if needed,and then you will have an idea.If you get the volume too that and the dry weight make up the bulk of your points.

Post a pic of it when its done.In needs to weigh as stated,around the 360 mark,although its not a rule weight.Deductions for the cut will have to be taken off if needed,and then you will have an idea.If you get the volume too that and the dry weight make up the bulk of your points.

morning I just weighed the head this morning and after being boiled cleaned and cut it weighs 476 grams is that any good.