shotgun application

They'll be looking to see if you have the right character to own a gun. I was asked about my reasons for wanting a certificate, what my prior experience with guns was, knowledge of gun safety, general questions about the law surrounding guns, if you have a cabinet already he will want a look. The trick is to be calm, polite, measured and to know enough to be safe and trustworthy.

Didn't see the response above, essentially the same

Edited by guest1957

What to expect?

You can expect to lose lots and lots of money over the coming months, all into the pocket of your friendly gun shop. :lol:

But seriously, he'll ask what you want to use it for, where you might use it, and a general chit-chat to make sure you're not a nut-case.

Just try to relax - he's not there to trip you up. Tea and biccies.

what my feo questioned me about when i went for my sgc, was how healthy was my marriage, whether we were having any issues etc and how my wife felt about having a gun in the house, he also quizzed my wife about where the safe keys were kept and did she have access to them, she replied she had no issues with a gun in the house and she didn't have the foggiest idea where the safe was kept, never mind the keys for it

i think all there interested in is who has access, and are you of good character, and the reasons for owning a shotgun, so no sawn off jokes or comments like " cant wait to blast the **** out of the damn rabbits down the road"

thinking about it he did question me about how long i'd been shooting for and when i answered 3 months he did comment, he would have preferred me too have at least 6 months experience but my licence came through a week later, no problem

hope this helps

joe

:lol: :o :o

Hi, Received a call from local firearms unit, coming around for chat :lol: re: shotgun application, what should I expect?

Many thanks for your advice :o

Expect your door to be kicked in then thumb screws,water boarding,whipped and thats all within the first few minutes.

You could of course just stick the kettle on instead and be honest. :o

Hi, Received a call from local firearms unit, coming around for chat ;) re: shotgun application, what should I expect?

Many thanks for your advice :)

I had my chat two Saturdays ago. It was a pleasant chat and covered all of the things mentioned above. One thing that was mentioned is that it is not legal to have used someone else's gun on land that they do not own. I had only shot on the clay ground which is fine, but worth knowing....

My certificate then arrived on friday, so I was in the gun shop on Saturday and invested in an SX3 for pigeons and potentially wildfowling once I have some experience...

I am picking up a Lanber over and under from a member on here, hopefully this week.

I supplied a cup of coffee - No biscuits, but it did not seem to cause me a problem.

My cabinet was "wiggled" to make sure it was secured ok.

One thing that was mentioned is that it is not legal to have used someone else's gun on land that they do not own. I had only shot on the clay ground which is fine, but worth knowing....

Proof again that FEO's have often an "interpretation" of the law as he's wrong on that one. If you have what is classed as "occupier" status it's legal to allow a non-licence holder to use your gun as long as you are present. Same goes for Firearms.

Chapter 6

EXEMPTIONS FROM THE REQUIREMENT TO HOLD A CERTIFICATE

Shot guns

6.14 Section 11(5) of the 1968 Act allows

an individual, without holding a shot gun

certificate, to borrow a shot gun from the

occupier of private premises and use it on

those premises in the occupier’s presence.

The presence of the occupier is normally

taken to mean within sight and earshot of the

individual borrowing the firearm. The term

“occupier” is not defined in the Firearms

Acts, nor has a Court clarified its meaning.

However, the Firearms Consultative

Committee in their 5th Annual report

recommended that the provisions of section

27 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

be adopted. This states that ‘“occupier” in

relation to any land, other than the foreshore,

includes any person having any right of

hunting, shooting, fishing or taking game or

fish’. In the absence of any firm definition

for firearms purposes, it is suggested that

each chief officer of police may wish to make

use of this definition.

• 4 weeks later...
It as arrived...SGC

what do i get,

Help....

Great stuff mate.. Try as many guns in your budget to find the one that fits you best.. If buying second hand, your dealer would be happy for you to take the gun away and put a few carts through it, you have 72hrs to have it without being put on your cert..