This evenings roe buck

sako751sg

Went out about 3ish,to the valley where i thought it would be sheltered.Walked about 400 yards through the woods and only saw one doe.When i got to the valley it was blowing a gale,so i just got tucked in and hoped something would show.Gave it a couple of hours,and then moved about 200 yards where it was more sheltered.Stayed for about a half hour,and then the rain came on so decided to bin it and go to the jeep.Had just stood up when two does appeared,so stuck it out hoping there would be a buck with them,but no luck.When they dissapeared,i thought id go back to the valley for a quick scan before heading.Going over the brow to it,i saw two does grazing,and again thought there might be a buck with them.I stood watching them for about 10 mins,when one of them turned into a buck.Still cant believe i had stood watching them for that long before realising one was a buck.I headed up the hill about 10 yards,and set the camera up for the shot.Very steep looking down to where they were,and he looked to be a small yearling.I took the shot,and he legged it about 40 yards and dropped.On going to him hes actually a big enough buck,prob 2-3 years.The shot was slightly low,and took a chunk out of the lower heart,but still a good hit.

After that i headed about 15 miles to about 350 acres that goes up to a cracking wood.The roe here have a bad habit of coming out just on dark,giving you a very small shooting window.Right enough,a buck appeared after a couple of hours and came within 200 yards.I got out the jeep,and just set the rifle on the bipod,when he must have got a whiff of me and legged it back to the wood.Less than a minute later,two does and a buck still in velvet appeared,and by the time he was a safe shot,he was bang in my wind and all three legged it also.The wind was a pure ***** tonight,and with it swirling when it hits the woods i would have been better staying at home but it was good to see where they came out from for another evening.

post-18885-1272151502.jpg

Nice one Sako mate! Now you are really rubbing it in to us that are not so fortunate as you to have such good land to shoot over by using a video aren't you! (lol) :hmm:

The video makes it even more interesting mate, please keep 'em coming! :hmm: :unsure: :hmm:

post-18885-1272180967.jpg

Nice one sako, you really are lucky with all those beasts to cull!

Does the spaniel track the deer?

All the best,

Sam :unsure:

Cheers Sam,and the dog saves a lot of time after the shot when the roe is in heavy cover.

:hmm: Nice one! :hmm:

Cheers fella.

Nice one Sako mate! Now you are really rubbing it in to us that are not so fortunate as you to have such good land to shoot over by using a video aren't you! (lol) :hmm:

The video makes it even more interesting mate, please keep 'em coming! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

I try and video far too much,and it ruins way too many stalks.Not rubbing it again,but heres a pic of another buck from this morning.Not very exciting,just a case of getting out the jeep and walking about 50 yards and shooting off the sticks.Neck shot and straight down.A big buck with a small but heavy head for the size.Cheers,Dave.

Well done Dave. :hmm:

I'm out at the bucks tonight until Thursday. Hope to get a few pics of my own. :P

Cheers,

Mark.

Cheers all.

A whole 5 days of bucks Mark.Horrible job,but someone has to do it. :good: Look forward to the pics,and hopefully some cracking headwear.