Pigeon breast.

PLAGUE

As title suggests I need to know the easiest and best way to remove JUST the breast from a woody, shot a couple and ate them in the past few days - but always seem to leave to much meat on the bird when removing the breast.

Never done a pigeon untill recently and i am still going about it as if i am skinning a Rabbit.

So could realy do with some pointers as how to go about this properly as it is such a shame to leave all this good meat on the bird.

Thanks for any help guys and gals, much appriciated.

Steve.

As title suggests I need to know the easiest and best way to remove JUST the breast from a woody, shot a couple and ate them in the past few days - but always seem to leave to much meat on the bird when removing the breast.

Never done a pigeon untill recently and i am still going about it as if i am skinning a Rabbit.

So could realy do with some pointers as how to go about this properly as it is such a shame to leave all this good meat on the bird.

Thanks for any help guys and gals, much appriciated.

Steve.

I always pull the wings off, stick 2 thumbs between the crop of the bird and pull apart. This leaves a perfect crown and from there it is very straightforward to breast the bird. I am sure you will find various methods on youtube and also with more practise you will get better.

Pluck the breast feathers off right down to the legs, wings and crop. Pinch the skin on the breast bone at the lower end where the yellow lines meet the breastline, then slip a knife in and cut the skin up to the crop. Pare the skin away with your fingers so that it peels back to the wings. Score down each side of the breast bone no more than 1 or 2 millimetres keeping the knife right up against the bone. Put the knife down then slip your thumbs one at a time into the slits so your nails are right up against the breast bone. Using your thumbs pare the meat away from the bone. Keep your thumb nails pressed hard against the bone. You should be able to ease all the meat off the bone including the paler small muscle inside the darker large muscle. You will end up with two fillets hanging off the lower part of the bone. Carefully cut them off. Remove the heart and liver and you are done.

It takes less time to do it than read this.

Couple of tips:

Pluck all the birds first before butchering as sticky fingers are no use for plucking.

If you get blood and feathers on your fingers rub your hands together vigorously and it will clean them.