Zeroing .17 HMR.

vole

Yes deckers I agree he should have,he was one of many we get come through our clubs doors who shoot on land,think they know everything and turn out not to,and turn out to have non exsistent range safetey,then they kick up a fuss when we won't let them join after 3 months. "But I've got an fac" they say.....we have refused entry to quite a few.

Zero with one shot,Others will say this is nonsense mate but I do it this way,unmount the scope,put the scope onto a card shoebox with little precut grooves in for your scope.now watching the crosshair and slowly turning the scope adjust crosshairs until they are spinning in the middle ie the cross is in the center not going around the outer part as it were,this will reset ure scope,now undo the ***** and put them back on zero completing the reset.remount scope .next put a target up at watever distance u want to zero at,a plain white piece of paper and put a black mark on it u can see at you're disired distance.with ure rifle resting on a shooters rest ie dead still I would use a bore sighter to ensure ure on the paper,ok aim at ure mark and fire ure shot will be not far off the mark if uve used a boresighter ok here's the important bit,with the rifle clamped down or tied down ie it dosent move (u need to make sure uve tied it down with the cross hairs on the aiming mark) wen its still and on aim on ure aiming mark move the crosshairs accross to where the bullet hit(using the nobs on the scope ),ure now zeroed! (At that distance)a still day is best and greater or shoter distance can be easily gauged from here. Hope this helps .

simpler one shot method, stick a red or green laser on youre scope, aim and fire at a target, keep crosshairs on the aim point and move the laser dot to where the round hit, then adjust the scope so it lines up with the laser dot. seemples ;)

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Zero with one shot,Others will say this is nonsense mate but I do it this way,unmount the scope,put the scope onto a card shoebox with little precut grooves in for your scope.now watching the crosshair and slowly turning the scope adjust crosshairs until they are spinning in the middle ie the cross is in the center not going around the outer part as it were,this will reset ure scope,now undo the ***** and put them back on zero completing the reset.remount scope .next put a target up at watever distance u want to zero at,a plain white piece of paper and put a black mark on it u can see at you're disired distance.with ure rifle resting on a shooters rest ie dead still I would use a bore sighter to ensure ure on the paper,ok aim at ure mark and fire ure shot will be not far off the mark if uve used a boresighter ok here's the important bit,with the rifle clamped down or tied down ie it dosent move (u need to make sure uve tied it down with the cross hairs on the aiming mark) wen its still and on aim on ure aiming mark move the crosshairs accross to where the bullet hit(using the nobs on the scope ),ure now zeroed! (At that distance)a still day is best and greater or shoter distance can be easily gauged from here. Hope this helps .

Known in the Artillery as 'Laying on fall of shot'. When used with the old dial sight it used to guarantee a second round 'target round'.

I just don't understand why people say to zero at 100 yards first. The HMR is easily affected by the slightest of breezes and the fact that you can't sit perfectly still will mean you are amplifying your inaccuracy over 100 yards.

If you zero at a shorter range and then double check the longer, you'll be able to group them easier and save rounds. Buying a laser is just hypocritical if you are trying to save rounds/cost of bullets, as you'll fork out for either a rifle laser or a boresighter.

Whoever said to fix the gun to a bench will find their gun is inaccurate, as it's zeroed to the exact concentric circles of the scope, not the way you shoot the gun, which will more than likely be where your eye isn't perfectly lined up with the scope, meaning you shoot slightly left, right, up or down.

Yes ure right on the cones of you're eyes in relation to the diffrence between prone and standing,that's why I kneel with my body up straight mimicking being stood up upright

When I shoot on my zero bench ,just becase u feel its no good for you dosent mean that's uniform for all.it works just fine for me and always has done,I was tought this method many years ago by one of the guys in our sniper section,he did alright.

I just don't understand why people say to zero at 100 yards first. The HMR is easily affected by the slightest of breezes and the fact that you can't sit perfectly still will mean you are amplifying your inaccuracy over 100 yards.

If you zero at a shorter range and then double check the longer, you'll be able to group them easier and save rounds. Buying a laser is just hypocritical if you are trying to save rounds/cost of bullets, as you'll fork out for either a rifle laser or a boresighter.

Whoever said to fix the gun to a bench will find their gun is inaccurate, as it's zeroed to the exact concentric circles of the scope, not the way you shoot the gun, which will more than likely be where your eye isn't perfectly lined up with the scope, meaning you shoot slightly left, right, up or down.

a laser boresighter wouldnt work so well, a £20 green laser (when they were legal) off ebay does the trick. its the only true 1 shot zero method ive found, also has a few other uses. as i usually rifle shoot with a friend one of us shoots and the other spots, theres been plenty of times the shooter hasnt been able to spot the rabbit, so shine the laser on a hedge, etc, and let the spotter talk you onto the target (left 10m, down, etc). also the spotter usually picks up the rabbit for the shooter, easy enough to lose them in long grass, esp if the spotter hasnt seen the shot, so the laser can be used to direct them to the rabbit :) finally, and one of the best, if the laser and the scope are zeroed to match at 100 yards (or whatever range) its a quick and simple way to check zero when you go out - line up on a hedge, etc, at the desired range and flick the laser on and make sure its dead centre of the crosshairs. more accurate than a laser bore sighter, and saves having to find out the hard way that your zero's been knocked off ;):lol:

id say thats worth more than £20 :D:hmm:

takes me about 5 rounds on a still day , bore sight at 15 yards looking through the rifles bore on a benchrest setup , set your scope 1"high at this range... pretty simple and can be done in the back garden prior to venturing out in the field.. this will get you on paper at 45yards which will be your first shot, if its really close , take your next shot at 100 where its just a case of dialing in the shot exatcly (can normally be done in 2 shots ..with a few check shots just to make sure. after that i normally recheck at 150 yards and 200 yards for holdover points... and any really fine 1 click adjustment ...

do this everytime and it works a treat .....