great day out!

adam scott

what a day.

got up at half four, first light. picked up me stap dad gary. been studiying this feild for days, so i know the flight lines. dropped off gary at one end of the feild and i headid for the other side. the crop was red wheat and pigeons have been on it in there plenty along with rooks, crows and quite alot of pewits to my suprise i also herd my first cookoo of the year. :good:

i set up my deeks 40 yards out. no need to push it. using the old faithful horse shoe shap i placed 1 rook decoy at the back around 15-20 yards away from my pattern. this did not work aswel as i'd hoped , after killing a couple and adding them this helped no end. but my hide was not perfect so that put them off. i bearly got in my hide and pigeons were pooring in. non stop action. i could not load my gun quick enough. :good::good:

mayhem. pigeons were set to come in, wings back and all when suddenly from the other side of the field gary rattled a shot off at somethin making my pigeons veer away! ha never mind, i'm sure it would happen to him eventually! my first few shots were awsome with a first shot first kill and a couple of doubles , then my shooting got worse as i had some really easy misses and when i get frustraited i get worse, i dont take my time and they turn into angry shots. :good:

gary had his magnet out, i chose to have nothing as i knew i was on the flightline and had no worries about the pigeons spotting my deek's. i also noticed the pigeons started coming from all directions. i thought to myself could i be sat on some sort of flight line junction where b lines join the a line?? i dont know but if i had it was luck. :good:

we were both rattleing shots off all day with no disturbance to the flightlines, the wind was up and so muffleing the sound of our muskets! :good:

11:30am i rang gaz and said well give it a rest at twelve. my shoulder was killing me and my legs too from chaising a rook accross the feild. plus the pubs were open :good: . i only had a few shells left anyhow. i said i'll use them up. i had more in the van but it seemed good to finish on a high for once.

after alot of misses and frustaion :good: . our final bag was around 15 rooks and 30 odd pigeons. my shooting was awful but the sport was great. i will try to put a picture up but i'm not sure how to do it.

we hope to return in a week. i'll let u know how we get on. with anyluck i might shoot i little more strate! :good:

"Clayin aint the same as pigeon shooting"....I had the same attitude too. I didnt want to shoot clays just pigeons. However I realised (and was told by some good mates) that my shooting would improve by getting on the clays. Eventually I decided to have a go at this clay busting malarky. After a couple of rounds where i consistently hit the sky and nothing else I seriously wondered if it was worth carrying on. I persevered and things just kind of clicked into place. Clay shooting is seriously addictive when you start dusting them. My shooting has improved loads, both on the clay range, but also on the pigeons. I note you stated that your shoulder was aching and that you shot 30 pigeons and were running low on carts. You must have missed a whole boatload of birds mate. Get on the clays. Best thing I ever done. :good:

i am really embarressed but i used 100 shots :good: ! my shooting was awful! yet last time i shot clays i hit 9 out of 10! explain me that?? it just seemed every time i took a shot at a pigeon. it veered as i took the shot! :angry: so frustraiting! i will get on the clays but i'm ok at that! i think when it comes to pigeons i get so exited i dont take my time with the shot!

Only a handful of those birds in the picture are woodies. Hope you didn't shoot any with rings round their feet.

As for clay shooting, i reckon if you can hit over 20 ex 25 consistently on the skeet range, you should be ok at decoying pigeon.

Only a handful of those birds in the picture are woodies. Hope you didn't shoot any with rings round their feet.

As for clay shooting, i reckon if you can hit over 20 ex 25 consistently on the skeet range, you should be ok at decoying pigeon.

there are 4 feral pigeons there. the rest are woodies mate if u look.

you would do well to spot a ring on a pigeons foot before you shoot it anyway lol well done mate everyone has there bad days when i get frustrated i shoot terrible it happens nice bag !!!!

Yes,you would do well to spot one- that's why you have to be very careful not to shoot a racer. Very easily done!

Anyhow, some of the birds in your picture look remarkably like stock doves!

Edited by motty

Yes,you would do well to spot one- that's why you have to be very careful not to shoot a racer. Very easily done!

Anyhow, some of the birds in your picture look remarkably like stock doves!

most of them are stock doves they have a green tinge round the necks also they are darker grey than woodies.

i read about a court case in the paper not long ago about a bloke who shot a racer pigeon with a ring on it's foot. he owned up to it! rang the number on the tag! fair play to the bloke. hands up he knew he had done wrong.

what he did not know was that the person who owned the bird that he shot would from there on try to persue a case in court about this insident.

in the end. the bloke who shot the pigeon , sorry "racer pigeon" walked completely free of charge!

why?? i hear u ask. because the pigeon was a pest!!! the bloke with the gun was shooting over CROPS!! with a shotgun and that 100 yards is out of range for a gun of this type.

upon veiwing the site. charges were dropped as there where no houses for 1.5km.