TICKS

Having found a tick nymph on my wrist this morning, probably the result of handling/skinning a couple of Roe Buck shot the other evening I thought this might be a good time to remind everyone, NOT just deer stalkers, who get out in the countryside this summer of the problem.

We’ve started to notice more and more ticks on deer now the weather is warming up and no doubt we’ll see a lot more as summer moves on. I have a ‘Tick Twister’ ready for just such a situation BUT getting rid of the little boogers is only the start. For the lowdown on ticks and the diseases they carry take a look here http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ as awareness is the best way to avoid becoming seriously sick. Talk about ‘the meek shall inherit the earth’...Alien had nothing on these little critters, they’ve got us beat!

This is something that can NOT be taken too lightly.

15 years ago I had a tick bite on my lower leg and thought nothing of it.

Within 3 weeks I went down with what I thought was the Flu, which steadily got worse and worse, with my temperature going up to 40c, whereupon my wife had to call for an ambulance. When I arrived at hospital I was taken into isolation and given a Lumbar puncture to establish the cause of my symptoms…..blinding headache, painful limbs and intolerance to light.

I was diagnosed with meningitis and put on a very heavy course of antibiotics and some other medication. I was stripped off and a fan was placed next to the bed where I spent the next 4 days having hallucinations and generally going up the wall.

I developed a general feeling of being unwell which lasted for a couple of years and have since gone on to get very bad arthritis in most of my joints. This has also led to other illnesses which seem to arrive at regular intervals.

The cause…….well they aren’t sure, but they do suspect it was Lymes disease.

DO NOT IGNORE IT.

G.M.

I have tacken a couple of huge ticks of my dog in the past few weeks and i mean massive compared to the normal ones he gets and what is more odd is they must have gotten massive fast as they were in placed that would have been spotted within a day or two of him picking them up and they had made a right mess around the site they were on so were removed and disinfected at double pace. I have never had one but am still paranoid of lymes disease.

George

Lived in Aussie for a few years working outside in the bush looking after Koalas, roos, emus, wombats etc in an animal sanctuary( named the Koala Park ) on Magnetic Island. Chaps/gaitors or whatever you wanna call em are a must against ticks, leeches and bity things and everyone wears them in the bush. They are not shark or croc proof but you should wear em stalking to stop the ticks getting on your ankles.They sit on blades of grass waiting for you to brush by and then rush up your trouser leg. Only one thing worse than ticks and thats koalas, viscious,boney and down right dangerous beasts. Until I came across these kritters I didnt believe in killing things, after being mauled by em a few times I decided that I would rather shoot anything that looked appealing and cuddly as its only a disguise!