HELP has my 9 month springer just become a teenager

cap1len

my 9 month springer dog has been progressing really well up until the last couple of weeks when he now seems to have developed selective hearing. he sometimes just simply ignores me completely when he is off the lead. i know he is just following his natural instincts but the question is do i let him carry on and wait until he grows out of it. if not what should i be doing.

my 9 month springer dog has been progressing really well up until the last couple of weeks when he now seems to have developed selective hearing. he sometimes just simply ignores me completely when he is off the lead. i know he is just following his natural instincts but the question is do i let him carry on and wait until he grows out of it. if not what should i be doing.

Grow out of it :lol:

I had Springers until I retired so I have 'a bit' of knowledge of Springers.

I say 'a bit' because all Springers have a character of their own and act differently.

The only thing they all have in common is that they act like teenagers until they die :good:

I'm afraid you have to take a strong and firm grip of them all the time, but it sounds as if you have been trying to train your dog at too early an age.

For the first year all you really ought to concentrate on is basic walking to heal with fun and games periodically to get him wanting to please you.

I cannot advise you with your particular dog but I wish you well and hope it comes good in the end.

Edited by EMcC

i have the same going on with mine although ahe is a springer cross wiemaraner. she was brilliant off the lead till about 6 weeks ago when she started to not want to listen. i continued to let off lead in the field as normal till one day she just would not listen and she wondred off into a neighbours garden and wouldn't come back. so now when we're in the field she goes on a 20 meter lead and we work on her recalls and attention. we have a secure area ( an old tennis court ) so she can still run around. just work on his recall and attention on a long lead till he gets it right 100%.

if he does decide not to listen hen he is off lead when you eventually get him back stay calm and don't get angry with him, work on something you know he is good at so you finnish your session on a pluss.

hope that helps.

lister

• 2 weeks later...