Soldiers

noodly

Wat u on about? U mean 16 air assault brigade,they wernt formed till 1997 ish were they? I thought r.a. Manned the (ineffective) rapier at san carlos.

Well, the reason I am asking is there is a guy in my local who is around 55 who gives us this story, obviously guys like me dont know but it is nice to find out the truth.

If 16 AAB were not formed until 1997, he says he left left in 1991 so that is a non starter then.

If someone can give me all the info, I intend to have a cultured two way conversation with him tonite!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you mean 16 AAB then, NO! 16 air assault was formed on the 1st September 1999.

24 airmobile and the whole of 5 Airborne were 'amalgamated' to form the new 16 air assault.

incidentally,23 Pfa also became 16 CS med regt. (where even females got to wear the maroon beret without completing P company.)

Went down like a ginger stepchild with the ex PFA lot.(myself included.)

PFA started wearing their berets like a flat cap to be 'ally' We got to strut about in para smocks and kept the pegasus on our sleeve for a bit. It got a bit **** after that and I got out and got a real job.

Rapiers were RAF regiments new toy in the falklands, I think the only airborne lot that got to play with them were some 7RHA lads, I could be wrong though. A quick google should get some bumf on rapier in the falklands. (I dont think it worked as well as promised!)

I think someone is talking b/s if they are spinning you these sort of lines.

Wasn't 23 PFA in Browning Bks :good:

Guest gloker

Yes, Those were the days! After the 'amalgamation'/make it up as you go along/travelling circus. We all got fobbed off to Goojerat Barracks in Colchester. It was a slippery downward spiral from thereon.

If you mean 16 AAB then, NO! 16 air assault was formed on the 1st September 1999.

24 airmobile and the whole of 5 Airborne were 'amalgamated' to form the new 16 air assault.

incidentally,23 Pfa also became 16 CS med regt. (where even females got to wear the maroon beret without completing P company.)

Went down like a ginger stepchild with the ex PFA lot.(myself included.)

PFA started wearing their berets like a flat cap to be 'ally' We got to strut about in para smocks and kept the pegasus on our sleeve for a bit. It got a bit **** after that and I got out and got a real job.

Rapiers were RAF regiments new toy in the falklands, I think the only airborne lot that got to play with them were some 7RHA lads, I could be wrong though. A quick google should get some bumf on rapier in the falklands. (I dont think it worked as well as promised!)

I think someone is talking b/s if they are spinning you these sort of lines.

Gloker,

7 Para RHA (P-Troop) Now 21Bty 47RA A/D, use the Javalin in the A/D role, which is man portable unlike the Rapier. which was used by 22 RA A/D Regiment(Now disbanded).

RATUS

Guest gloker

^^^^^

There you go, a man in the know. 7RHA were a top bunch, used to beat us regularly at rugby. (At the Havant Tens we were 'drubbed' I think they call it!) Did you know Ed Brennan? (His brother was RAMC and at PFA for a bit.)

Some of the PFA lot took themselves a bit seriously and thought that they were Para Reg. I didnt fit in with them really, I was fit, liked running and rugby but like I said before I was a **** soldier and I was an 'admin nightmare' apparently.

I enjoyed the medical side of things but we didnt really do enough, The odd DZ cover and med. attachment.

I met a bird, signed off and got on a DEP (Direct Entry Paramedic.) course with WYMAS (as it was) in Leeds and havent looked back. I had some really good times. (usually involving lots of alcohol and young ladies.) Made some really good mates. a couple of which Im still in touch with.

7 Para RHA (P-Troop) Now 21Bty 47RA A/D, use the Javalin in the A/D role, which is man portable unlike the Rapier. which was used by 22 RA A/D Regiment(Now disbanded).

RATUS

21 Air Defence Bty (based at Thorney Island) has a ''Parachute trained Troop'' which use ''Lightweight Multiple Launcher'' (LML) ''High velocity Missile'' (HVM)

7RHA (based at Colchester) are the ''parachute light gun'' Regiment

They are 2 differant units mate :rolleyes:

Edited by chrispti

I've a sneaking suspicion that ratus knows that better than most!

Edited to add - P Tp used to be on the 7th ORBAT as part of HQ Bty. They left and went to 47 AD Regt, renamed 21 Bty in Sep '97, taking with them a good bunch of blokes.

Edited by PaulABF

This is where my STAB-knowledge starts taking a serious battering... Paul has just used a string of letters that I have to assume mean something, but not to me.

I think I'll stick to infosec and getting my head round how my unit works.

Oh, and I have been to H (well, the station there on the way to Sennybridge). I have met some of "THEM" (they looked like roadies from a Status Quo concert), and best of all, I know what colour the boathouse door is. But only because a mate of mine told me.

Besides, we all know that the Scaleys are the best.

^^^^^

There you go, a man in the know. 7RHA were a top bunch, used to beat us regularly at rugby. (At the Havant Tens we were 'drubbed' I think they call it!) Did you know Ed Brennan? (His brother was RAMC and at PFA for a bit.)

Some of the PFA lot took themselves a bit seriously and thought that they were Para Reg. I didnt fit in with them really, I was fit, liked running and rugby but like I said before I was a **** soldier and I was an 'admin nightmare' apparently.

I enjoyed the medical side of things but we didnt really do enough, The odd DZ cover and med. attachment.

I met a bird, signed off and got on a DEP (Direct Entry Paramedic.) course with WYMAS (as it was) in Leeds and havent looked back. I had some really good times. (usually involving lots of alcohol and young ladies.) Made some really good mates. a couple of which Im still in touch with.

Yer i know ED and Dusty very well,both served with 7 PARA RHA!! Dusty was RAMC, ED was P-Troop, before unfortunetly P-Troop moved to Hat Land.

Hey up Paul, hows tricks? taking over your last job in Gay Mercers soon!!

RATUS

RATUS

21 Air Defence Bty (based at Thorney Island) has a ''Parachute trained Troop'' which use ''Lightweight Multiple Launcher'' (LML) ''High velocity Missile'' (HVM)

7RHA (based at Colchester) are the ''parachute light gun'' Regiment

They are 2 differant units mate :yes:

Chrispti,

Roger That on the Javalin/HVM

As 7 PARA RHA are a ''parachute light gun''Regiment, that is why the Regiments title changed from 7 RHA in mid 80's to 7 PARA RHA, and came back into the Airborne role with 5th Airborne BDE, cause the hats who went with the Reg, down south in 82' where in tatters. and have proved themselves in Iraq, and Afghan time and time again.

Ratus

Agh 1999,I were close,the old kryptonian memory banks failing me again. Yes red berets were the order of the day wen we went to 5 airbourne,but u couldent ware ure wings unless u did p company,I duid the 2 week ta one,it would kill me now! And I think the first official guy on the falklands was a spotter for ra....of course sas had hit pebble island about the same time.

Chrispti,

Roger That on the Javalin/HVM

As 7 PARA RHA are a ''parachute light gun''Regiment, that is why the Regiments title changed from 7 RHA in mid 80's to 7 PARA RHA, and came back into the Airborne role with 5th Airborne BDE, cause the hats who went with the Reg, down south in 82' where in tatters. and have proved themselves in Iraq, and Afghan time and time again.

Ratus

:yes:

Edited by chrispti

I love these threads, do all who served spend their whole lives talking in acronyms?

P Tp = P Troop

ORBAT = Order Of Battle

HQ Bty = Headquarters Battery

47 AD = 47 Air Defence Regiment Royal Artillery

Sep '97 = September 1997

Yeah I got September 1997, and I appreciate I am not target audience.

But I just imagine you boys all sat round talking whole sentences without any actual words in at all - 'restricted code' is what sociologists would call it, hence keeping walts on their toes as chrispti says.