Ground clearance

darren m

I believe the new Disco and Range Rover actually have more ground clearance than the Defenders. Went round an off road course the other week in the TDV8 Vogue - didn't even work up a sweat on anything that was thrown at it. Amazing stuff.

Don't ask me about any of that Jap stuff - Land-Rover all the way.

for anybody with a L200 (or a ranger), if the front drops it can be wound up again. As they have torsion bars on the front lift up one side and wind up and the same for the other side checking both are the same - then check the tracking angle. For safety use a spare wheel and wood stacking before going underneath - don't just rely on a jack. I wound mine up so it's level side on view.

I have heavy duty rear springs giving it more lift. Now most farm ruts will clear ok. <_<

which standard 4x4 as the most ground clearance :sly:

Not that simple as independent suspension ground clearance varies, with beam axles it's constant. That's one reason why beam axles can be better, you can judge ground clearance constantly. <_<

In general short 4x4's are better for undulating ground. If you look at the original Jeep it's not only short but the wheels are in each corner so it can go over very rolling ground. The other problem is twisting ground where the axles are going in both directions - many can't cope with that problem. then you have bits underneath that can get damaged - brake pipes etc.

Many so called 4x4's can't cope with conditions - for real men <_<

with live axle (generally better off the road) it is pretty much going to be those with the biggest tyres. something like an 80 series lc or gu / gq patrol will take 33s with no modifications so would give the greatest axle ground clearance. IFS systems you can wind up to give you more lift, but then you will lose that travel downwards which limits your ability to articulate.

if you want the most capeable standard off roader you should look at an 80 series landcruiser although they pretty big for general use. or if you just want off road performance off the shelf the jeep rubicon is probably the best new vehicle without going to unimogs.

of course there is always the land rover, which is perfectly capeable as standard (if a little iffy on reliability) but if you want to play with the spanners can be made extremely handy.

simple answer to your question:

a unimog probably has the most ground clearance of a standard 4x4