using a bore snake from the mussle

silverhawk

I would never use a bore snake myself- much prefer the rod

Les :o

I was going to say the same myself, I would never use a bore snake in a rifle of mine.

My local rifle smith loves them, recons the damage they do and the work they bring him in pays for his holidays !!. He takes in several hmr's every month to sort out where the owner has got a bore snake jammed in the barrel and the cord has come away.

Why people use them I will never know.

I was going to say the same myself, I would never use a bore snake in a rifle of mine.

My local rifle smith loves them, recons the damage they do and the work they bring him in pays for his holidays !!. He takes in several hmr's every month to sort out where the owner has got a bore snake jammed in the barrel and the cord has come away.

what damage do they do?

When i bought my CZ 452 HMR i asked for jags patches and a rod, the salesman said we sell lots of these (boresnake) i said i bet you do, he said "you dont need to rod a HMR" :good:

Anyway they only had a PH rod so i bought that and on the way home called into Reloading Solutions for the other bits and pieces......

I told Aftab what was said and he was gobsmacked picked up some 17 Pro-Shot jags patches and brushes and a dedicated bore guide :good:

Ian.

i have used a boresnake in my hmr for nearly 2 years and never had a problem with the boresnake or the crown of my gun.

most is done by misuse and i have never heard(rather would see one to be honest) of one problem with the crown using a boresnake,which has been mentioned that a boresnake will do damage to the crown. :good: (that is using it from the breech to the crown every time).

no damage can be done by a boresnake,only the damage by the way it is taken out.

al

Edited by albob

if the cord has come away,why is it jammed?....as the rest of the boresnake is still left hanging out the breech. :good: and can be back pulled...

al

if the cord has come away,why is it jammed?....as the rest of the boresnake is still left hanging out the breech. :good: and can be back pulled...

al

I've not seen one jammed but my chap assures me it happens quite often, jammed so tight that in some instances he has had to resort to burning it out.

I've not seen one jammed but my chap assures me it happens quite often, jammed so tight that in some instances he has had to resort to burning it out.

the reason i asked,is that my shooting mate is a rfd and gunsmith and he has never told me not to use a boresnake and he happily uses one to,which does tell you something.

as for jamming..i presume than that it had snapped and was a boresnake in poor condition for that to happen.

i think i will ask him when i see him,how many boresnakes he actually has to remove from barrels.

al