No More 4x4

fortune82

After debating for a while whether I needed a 4x4 or not I have finally decided not. I picked up my new car yesterday and dont know why I didnt change sooner.

I will save £300 a year on insurance!

£100 a year on road tax!

£1000 a year on fuel!

It is so nice to drive a car that does 0-60 in 9 seconds and 55 MPG.

I can also go round corners without tipping over and cruise quite comfortably on the motorway at 1700 RPM!

After debating for a while whether I needed a 4x4 or not I have finally decided not. I picked up my new car yesterday and dont know why I didnt change sooner.

I will save £300 a year on insurance!

£100 a year on road tax!

£1000 a year on fuel!

It is so nice to drive a car that does 0-60 in 9 seconds and 55 MPG.

I can also go round corners without tipping over and cruise quite comfortably on the motorway at 1700 RPM!

Sounds like you've found the perfect vehicle for you- What is it?

If it goes over rough terrain with all my shooting gear and dogs during the winter season I might get one myself.

Sprocket

yep you've now got something I assume means you have to walk round your shoot and leave the dogs at home :good:

No need, shoot has a trailer that everyone jumps in. Even if it didnt I could afford a half decent quad with the savings!

Its a Skoda Octavia 2.0 PD tdi 140 bhp! So plenty of room for dog and kit in the boot!

Edited by fortune82

No need, shoot has a trailer that everyone jumps in. Even if it didnt I could afford a half decent quad with the savings!

Its a Skoda Octavia 2.0 PD tdi 140 bhp! So plenty of room for dog and kit in the boot!

I don't want to sell my Jeep but the running costs sometimes frighten me!

I used to have an Audi A6 1.9Tdi estate, loads of room inside for people and gear (in fact 4 times as much as my jeep) it went like stink and did almost 50mpg on a run !!! **** ground clearance though.

Costs me £90 to fill the Jeep up and I get 350 miles out of it. The Audi (at todays fuel prices) would cost me £75 and I'd get almost 600 miles out of it!

:good::good::good::yes: :o

Did someone mention buying a quad with the savings!!!:lol: :o

often 80% of the time or more you don't really need a 4x4. however on the times that you do need them I find they absolutely pay for themselves. Be it off road, or in the bad weather, floods / snow that we've had. They can be invaluable. I am fortunate that I have another car which is pretty nippy, but it isn't fantastic on fuel either! ho hum.

its funny as costs are what you make of them, I bought an L200 bargasin basement version and it cost me 3K now £70 gets me 400 miles which isn't that nad and depreciation on the truck is negligible whereas my inkling would be your new skoda will depreciate more in the first year to pay my fuel bill for the last 3 years :good:

its funny as costs are what you make of them, I bought an L200 bargasin basement version and it cost me 3K now £70 gets me 400 miles which isn't that nad and depreciation on the truck is negligible whereas my inkling would be your new skoda will depreciate more in the first year to pay my fuel bill for the last 3 years :good:

This is one of the main reasons (other than the fact that I love my truck) I won't change it. I would have to spend £10k to get what I need and would probably only get 4-5k for the truck so that extra £5k will pay for an an aweful lot of fuel and road tax. False economy as I wouldn't see a return for years!

yep running costs are a nightmare , but i would,nt have one if i really did'nt need to .

apart from using it to tow a horse trailer and work towavan , there are a few places i could not have got to this year( shoot wise ) especially with all that snow and mud we had

so you have to way up the pro's and con's i suppose :good:

Skoda is second hand so already taken most of the depreciation. Also I got more for my 4x4 than I paid! Worked out I only needed a 4x4 about 15 - 20 times a year and in the snow I got stuck anyway simply because there were miles of cars infront and behind who were unable to move!!

Where did you get the prediction from, this is the first i've heard of it. With the volotile nature of oil prices at the moment i'd find it difficult to guess either way. Fuel costs already a huge burden on business and the motorist I'd like to believe that it would be unworkable to let them spiral out of control being the 17.5 % vat and roughly 80p fuel duty on it already

Where did you get the prediction from, this is the first i've heard of it. With the volotile nature of oil prices at the moment i'd find it difficult to guess either way. Fuel costs already a huge burden on business and the motorist I'd like to believe that it would be unworkable to let them spiral out of control being the 17.5 % vat and roughly 80p fuel duty on it already

It comes from a friend who works for a large energy firm. They have a department that predicts future prices of coal, gas and petrolium products. Theyve been spot on so far. The problem with petrol is more to with speculation than with oil prices.

Lets say someone puts a 1 million pound spread bet on petrol prices rising over the next few months. The spread betting firm then hedge their bets by buying 1 million pounds of petrol which has the effect of driving the price up. Historically there is usually a summer high anyway as more is used in air travel etc.

Its the way fuel is going anyway. A relative who works for Nissan tells me that they are phasing out all the proper 4x4's they produce and replacing them with more fuel efficient soft roaders because of predicted fuel prices over the next few years.

Edited by fortune82

the problem is if you do any amount of rifle shooting from a vehicle you're a bit knackered without a 4x4 as walking 10 miles in an evening a few times a week isn't my idea of fun. if you're a leisure shooter then its fine. Two cars works well with very cheap 4x4's or ones that financially you've written off so to speak but you still have two sets of tax and MOT's and servicing but keeping the mileage down on the 4x4 can make it viable. I do about 10K a year in mine and at £1.20 a mile that equates to £33 a week which is fine for me and at £1.50 it would be £41 so still not too bad when you also factor in reasonable road tax it works ok and with a short commute the 4x4 copes fine. I'll probably upgrade mine at some point to a newer L200 which should be more economical but while i've got a fuel card it isn't a major concern :good: