How would you go about this...

I have a friend of the family who runs a large (ish) farm / estate not very far from where I live,

Now i cannot use the land to shoot on because the pest control is subbed out to a syndicate, who don't ever shoot on the land and there is no game birds released to shoot or driven shoots at all.

I was considering approaching the farmer to ask if I could tender for the syndicate when it comes up for renewal, albeit I know f all about syndicates, as A, ill provide an actual pest control service, and B, it would be quite nice to have some land that I could use whenever, C.) id love to learn about these things.

Can anyone tell me what is involved?

I was thinking that if this were to be a goer, I would front the money to lease the land, then get someone more experienced to "run" it, that way its a permission I could use but without the stress of managing it on my own, adding the decided number of guns in due course, but a couple of months after the leases was agreed, this way I dont mess the farmer about and we can control the pest control.

any advice, direction or experiences would be appreciated as its all a bit new to me but would love to learn.

Many thanks

Alex

first of all get the rights

then what ever it costs you devide it by how ever many people you want on your shoot,why dont you just have it as a rough shoot,piddies,crows.rabbits,fox and anything else that crosses your path legally i'm sure you wouldnt be out of pocket m8, you just have to do a search on here and on any other sites for shooting wanted.............go for it

if you was a bit nearer i'd of had a place off you

mark

Now i cannot use the land to shoot on because the pest control is subbed out to a syndicate, who don't ever shoot on the land and there is no game birds released to shoot or driven shoots at all.

Not sure I understand this...if a syndicate pay for the shooting but don't use it...what's that all about then?

It may be as simple as the farm not holding the shooting rights which does happen, however this usually leaves the way open for vermin shooting. I would be very surprised if someone pays for the vermin shooting and doesn't use it. As for setting up a vermin syndicate personally I would be pretty apprehensive its not an easy or usually pleasant task being the intermediary between shooters and the farmer.

Sounds to me as if he is a tenant of a larger estate who retain the shooting and sporting right which is then let to a syndicate as a whole. the fact that the syndicate do nothing as far as your family friend farm is concerned has naff all to do with it. The estate owns the rights and the syndicate pays for the privilege to exercise those rights.

I for one would not be happy at a tenant farmer allowing anyone to shoot on land that I either owned the shooting right to or lease the right to. If I found out that it was occurring the agent or estate factor would be getting a phone call immediately in order to bring the matter to a swift and definite conclusion.

sounds to me that they dont own the shooting rights. i shoot a farm were the owner didnt get the shooting rights when he brought it but we can still shoot it because its arable land which hes grows on, but we had to stop shooting in september but now the estate keeper says shoot pigeons all the way through so its fine now.

I have a friend of the family who runs a large (ish) farm / estate not very far from where I live,

I was considering approaching the farmer to ask if I could tender for the syndicate when it comes up for renewal, albeit I know f all about syndicates, as A, ill provide an actual pest control service, and B, it would be quite nice to have some land that I could use whenever, C.) id love to learn about these things.

Can anyone tell me what is involved?

I was thinking that if this were to be a goer, I would front the money to lease the land, then get someone more experienced to "run" it, that way its a permission I could use but without the stress of managing it on my own, adding the decided number of guns in due course, but a couple of months after the leases was agreed, this way I dont mess the farmer about and we can control the pest control.

any advice, direction or experiences would be appreciated as its all a bit new to me but would love to learn.

Many thanks

Alex

If the PEST CONTROL is subbed out- then you'd not expect driven birds etc - pests are not Pheasants or partridge- I'd never pay for pest control over land as I feel Im giving the landowner a service for free and I pay for Bullets / Cartridges in return for the permission

Les