Looking for a live trap for a fox in the South East

Hi Rarms,

Haven't got a trap made up at the moment, but where in west sussex are you maybe I could pop over and help you knock one together? Have you considered snares I have some set up on my land and charlie just loves to stick his head through them :hmm::hmm: They have accounted for four in the last couple of weeks alone.

Ads

I have a trap and it gets used, but results are not great usually.

The fox is crafty, you may get fox cubs, cats, badgers, etc, etc, but old Charlie can commonly be the last to go in!!

It isn't like the movies in my experience, but every situation is different.

ATB!!

I have a trap and it gets used, but results are not great usually.

The fox is crafty, you may get fox cubs, cats, badgers, etc, etc, but old Charlie can commonly be the last to go in!!

It isn't like the movies in my experience, but every situation is different.

ATB!!

An old fox is the last creature to ever go into a trap and get caught, you will catch young foxes but after a trap has taken one the trap is next best thing to useless on that site unless its in the deepest depths of winter when there is nothing else about.

If you shoot a fox in the trap it is even less likely to take a fox ever again They can smell the blood on it for ages afterwards. They don't call charley cunning for nothing. If you catch a fox you have to drown it in a drinking trough or a rain butt so remember that when you design your trap Just take the trap with the fox in it and dump it in the water, tthen hold it under with a stick, Thats the RSPCA recommended way.

The best way is to leave the trap out with the door propped open unsprung and bait it for about a week. Once the old fox has seen the young foxes go in and take the bait unscathed he will start to gain confidence to go in it himself and thats when you can get him. Maplin sell a cheap camera that you can position by the trap triggered by a movement detector. Once you see the old fox using the trap he will prevent the young foxes from using it and nicking the food so then you have him all to yourself.

At this time of year there are too many cubs about and its just a waste of time. Buy or make a squirrel trap to give you something to bait it with. just leave the dead squrrel in the trap but when you go for the old fox tie it down so the fox has to put his weight on the plate. Otherwise he will reach over and take it without triggering the trap. Devious or what?

Edited by Vince Green