Lawn mower help!

tbox

mountfield are good machines but don't buy one from B&Q and the likes, they are built to a price. go to a proper dealer where they will have different machines. you can get mountfields with ali decks and honda engines

Yes People forget that the likes of B&Q go to these known names (or make them know) and say make a XYorZ with your name on but for half the price you would sell it for, so obviously there are corners cut.

Just a couple of examples are there Mountfield mowers and Karcher jet washes.

I have a mountfield with the ally deck and Honda engine and it is a perfect unit. But I also have my Westfield ride on mower for the main parts :hmm:

mountfield are good machines but don't buy one from B&Q and the likes, they are built to a price. go to a proper dealer where they will have different machines. you can get mountfields with ali decks and honda engines ( well you could when i last worked for a dealer ) and they are a bit cheaper than hayter. hayters are bloody good machines but you pay the price. someone said earlier about honda izzy ( however you spell it ) they are great for the money but have a steel deck so you must clean it down and look after it if you want the deck to last. its the same as anything you pay for what you get. the only thing i would say is never buy a mower from B&Q or homebase or argos or any of those type of shops go to a proper dealership. i know they will give you all the sales talk but you will get a better machine and a backup service. when i work in the workshop we used to get all of B&Qs come backs for warrenty repair.

anyhow i htink i've gone on enough.

lister

forgot to say that with the way things are in the current economical climate i bet you could get a good deal from dealer at the mo. mybe get a free service with a bit of discount if you know what i mean.. :hmm:

Lister is right in whot he says the B&Q ect are not the same as dealer machines, you want go far wrong with a honda selfpropelled.

Thanks Pegleg. I think I'm going to go for a second hand Hayter. Tried to get clever and 'snipe' a deal on ebay a couple of hrs ago but bowluxed it up and missed the moment! there are a few Hayter Harrier 48's on their that I like the look of.

have a look at second hand ride ons :hmm:

Yeah... would really love one. I reckon it's one of the few times in life where you can effectively be driving AND enjoying a beer at the same tim :hmm: :hmm:

Just two problems... budget and storage. for the dosh I want to spend I don't think I'll get a ride on (not sure my lawn really justifies it either!) also don't really have a place to keep a ride-on.

Quick update!

Many thanks to all the PW members who gave their advise on this. Following many of the suggestions, I picked up a second-hand Hayter Harrier 48 today off a bloke in Aylesbury who refurbs them in his garage. Top boloke. gave me his mobile number so I can give him a shout if I have any questions or anything goes wrong. The thing started on the first pull and I now have nice stripes on my lawn! v :rolleyes:

I said it b4 and I'll say it now... is their no problem PW members haven't got the answer to!

Thanks Again All

TBox

You want either a honda or a john deere,they have kawasaki engines. really good mowers do a good job and if you very rarely need parts they are easy to get. Mountfields are ****, they have no redeeming features end of :whistling:

I agree with the john deer bit, but they do't all have kawasaki engines, they also use B&S which are fine but all the parts seem good quality so another vote for john deere here.