Which Shotgun

paul87

Hello folks,

I'm trying to put away a bit of money each month until my FAC comes through by which stage i reckon i will have in the region of £300 to £400 saved up.

My question is if you had that budget what sort of shotgun would you buy for a bit of all round shooting.

I couldn't even say i'm new to the sport as i have only fired off a number of shots at clays and as yet don't even own a shot gun but i am very enthusiastic and keen to learn. And with this in mind i would rather not limit myself to a dedicated gun as such but something that will do me for a bit of everything if the oppertunity arises.

I know i should feel comfortable with a gun, but so you guys know the length and weight of the gun will not be an issue as i'm 6'2" and quite a big lad (or so i like to think).

I hope i have covered everthing if not just ask. :good:

Look forward to hearing your responses

Paul

Forgot to mention I don't have a problem with it being second hand, in fact i'd rather have a better performing second hand gun than a not so good performing new gun.

Also if you think i should hold off and stretch my budget by a couple of hundred then please give me suggestions and reasons. Thanks again.

Edited by paul87

A whole lot of arguements in that one - it depends what you want it for. Clay shooting - will it be DTL, Skeet or ESP? Will you want to go rough shooting with it?

When you have the money take someone with you who knows a little and go for something that suits what you want to do with it and one that fits. No point buying a budget gun to find you have to spend £200 getting it to fit.

So ignore names/makes etc. They all shoot straight - go for a gun that is not too worn or looks too tatty, but most importantly fits you and the purpose you want it for.

A whole lot of arguements in that one - it depends what you want it for. Clay shooting - will it be DTL, Skeet or ESP? Will you want to go rough shooting with it?

Thanks for the replies guys keep them coming please.

To be honest i would like it for everything including all types of clay shooting, (mainly DTL as it would be closest and easiest accessed) rough shooting, vermin control in fields and perhaps if i get myself really organised shore shooting. But maybe i am asking too much for a gun in my budget to cater for all these requirements.

So really i need something that isn't easily corroded and is generally well put together and reliable.

And some pointers as whether to opt for o/u or semi auto.

What about a Baikal?

It should do everything you ask of it and they a virtually indestructable but also ugly and fairly crude.

Personally id avoid a semi, i think o/us are more accepted on a clay ground and you can simply break them open to make them safe when rough shooting.

I bought a Zabala century classic for less than your budget and it has 3 1/2" chambers so it really is a versatile gun

It probably wont last as long as a Baikal but its nicer.

Im fairly new to shooting, had my shotgun cert for about 3 years now, FAC for 2 years.

I went for a Baikal O/U for my first gun. It was in good condition and in my opinion it looked pretty good (basic but good). Granted it didnt look like a gun you would have to spend 500+ on but it only cost me £260. Hard Case and two sets of barrels.

Iv used it for everything and now i feel its time for a new gun. I will probably spend £800+ but after reading some posts im now of the opinion that a better gun could help to improve my shooting.

For me its paid off using a cheaper gun to begin with!

(seen 4-5 lanbers on shoots now, all of them have the bluing flaking off) Just ones iv seen not saying all are like that!

Anyone else any further opinions?

To be honest i was thinking down the lines of a beretta 303 or a 304. But would i get a decent one for my budget?

Thanks again for the responses

Paul

Have a look at Browning B80, (beretta 390) same gun, no expensive Beretta name , slightly improved on the 303 , & slightly less £££. :good: