Help - sick pup

Ozzy Fudd

need some help guys (if possible). my friend and i both got 8 wk old pups from the local pound on monday, rottweiler/lab crosses, both from the same litter. theyd both been wormed but havnt had any vaccinations yet, and the vet is refusing to see them until we have them at least 1 week incase they picked anything up in the pound and spread it among any other animals in the surgery.

on wednesday night mine was very lethargic, wouldnt eat or drink and was shivering. she vomited a couple of times, but after an hour sleeping on the sofa she snapped out of it and was running around chewing stuff as usual. yesterday my friends bitch started showing the same symptoms, he wasnt too worried as he thought it was similar to what mine had been like, and would pass, but it hasnt. he's having to force water into the pup using a syringe but she keeps vomiting, also has the runs, is shivering and is extremely lethargic. he's going to ring the vet today but he's afraid they might refuse to see the pup.

anyone got any ideas what it might be, and if so what we can do if the vet wont look at them? :wub:

I've lost two to Parvo over the years, one in the window between 1st and 2nd jab and one after the second jab Have had the most recent ones fully inoculated before taking them home. Most recent one got gastroenteritis at about four months....same symptoms as the Parvo. Scared me half witless. You need to get them seen Ozzy, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you mate.

ok, been a hectic afternoon.

my mate rang, he took his pup into the vet and it seems to be parvo; the vet was eastern european :wub: so my mate didnt catch the name, just that its a virus, but the pup was given 3 injections - an antibiotics, an anti nausea and a vitamin/mineral supplment, which seems to be standard treatment for parvo. theyve also been talking about utting his on a drip. the vet reckons theyve probably caught it from the mother, so ive been panicking all afternoon, making dozens of phone calls to try and get this sorted (stuck in work and the vet will be closed by the time i get home).

i spoke to my own vet this afternoon, explained whats happened; he doesnt think shadow being sick on wed night was parvo, instead of coming round again she would have just got worse and worse, so either she doesnt have it (though she may have now caught it from her litter mate) or because she's a bigger pup its taking longer to affect her. he wants to see her today so he can examine her and give her the injection against parvo and an antibiotics. im in work so ive managed to get hold of one of my mates to take her down to the vet for me, so fingers crossed :good:

ok, been a hectic afternoon.

my mate rang, he took his pup into the vet and it seems to be parvo; the vet was eastern european :wub: so my mate didnt catch the name, just that its a virus, but the pup was given 3 injections - an antibiotics, an anti nausea and a vitamin/mineral supplment, which seems to be standard treatment for parvo. theyve also been talking about utting his on a drip. the vet reckons theyve probably caught it from the mother, so ive been panicking all afternoon, making dozens of phone calls to try and get this sorted (stuck in work and the vet will be closed by the time i get home).

i spoke to my own vet this afternoon, explained whats happened; he doesnt think shadow being sick on wed night was parvo, instead of coming round again she would have just got worse and worse, so either she doesnt have it (though she may have now caught it from her litter mate) or because she's a bigger pup its taking longer to affect her. he wants to see her today so he can examine her and give her the injection against parvo and an antibiotics. im in work so ive managed to get hold of one of my mates to take her down to the vet for me, so fingers crossed :good:

Hope it all works out ok.

AB

Hope it all works out ok.

AB

Have you informed the pound?

not yet, i will after i know what my own vet thinks, been too busy trying to get everything sorted first. they wont be able to do much though, the last 3 pups in the litter were taken on monday when i was there :good:

bit of an update

shadow (my pup) got her booster yesterday, the vet examined her and said she seemed fine so gave her her first injection. she's been vomiting from last night, plus not eating much, but seems lively enough. unfortunately sasha (my friends pup from the same litter) died last night at about 8pm, so im getting worried again; im hoping shadow being sick is just a combination of a reaction to the booster and the warm weather, fingers crossed, so ill be keeping a good eye on her this weekend :(