whats the best caliber for deer/buck/stags

Hi whats the best caliber for deer stalking for roe bucks and red stags the best all round deer caliber

If we are talking a pure deer round with no fox etc... from Munty to a Red Stag, then 6.5x55SE without question

There is no answer to this and you will get a lot of views.

Everyone will have their own rationale and everyone will have different abilities, experiences, situations.

Bigger isn't always better, there are other things to consider, conventional SP/HP ammo will often go right through anyway, have more kick and a loopy trajectory.

Bottom line is a .243 will do the job fine for most, a teaspoon and a sledgehammer will both break an egg! :yes:

ATB!!

agreed BUT.... OTT for short range woodland stalking though

Viper , no such thing as overkill , dead is dead . But there is such a thing as under kill . If you have to track a shot beast and find it laying down gasping for breath then you will know what I mean . Kill them clean with a .308 or a .270 .

Harnser .

Viper , no such thing as overkill , dead is dead . But there is such a thing as under kill . If you have to track a shot beast and find it laying down gasping for breath then you will know what I mean . Kill them clean with a .308 or a .270 .

Harnser .

Ahh yes... I forgot, my 6.5x55 won't do that as it's a little 'marginal' :yes:

Ahh yes... I forgot, my 6.5x55 won't do that as it's a little 'marginal' :yes:

Deer do not survive a hit from a centre fire rifle . Its all about how quick and humanely they die . A proper placed bullet will kill instantly or within a few seconds . The swede is a very capable round and good enough for all european deer . In my humble opinion and 50 years experiance of shooting game I still think that the .308 or the .270 a better all round cartridge for deer .

We should be more concerned with the quality of marksmanship than the size of the bullet . All centre fire rifles and .22 rim fire will kill deer ..... eventually .

Harnser .

It would be eay to say .308, or 30-06, .270, 6.5x55, .243 et al. But there is a case for the 7mm-08 being the ideal allround deer rifle calibre. If you were to produce and table of burn efficiency and power to weight ratio's the 7mm-08 would be very near the top. But a sensibly downloaded 30-06 will take muntjac with little damage and the .243 loaded to it's extreme will deal with heavy red stags.

On saying that I fundamentally have a problem with the premise of the thread!! I want more rifles not less :good: And so i have settled for a 6.5x55 and a 7x64 as my centrefire calibres of choice.

ft