Nightforce Scopes.....Amazing !!!

robbobsam

"I can not do that, therefore nobody else can"

Theres plenty of those on here!!!

I havent shot foxes at that range runninig but have regularly shot foxes on the run at sub 100 yards, its not difficult. I have shot with several people on here that have done it too.

If its safe i dont have a problem with it..and for the record, using 50gr ballistic tips in .222....Ive never needed a second shot to finish the job.

Th op has taken to time to master his scope and work out the adjustments, fair play to him, I have 2 scopes capable of being dialled, I just havent got round to doing it yet, but may do now and see how I get on!!! The only thing that stops me shooting bunnies with my .222 at ranges like that is cost...simple as...I did it at 298, to see if I could...I did and havent bothered since at 70p a time and an inedible rabbit...i dont see much point. ???

To openly have a go at other posts in such a manner showing your apparent mood swings quite clearly, (this is the pair of you) if i were a Fire arms enquiry officer i would really consider either of you having a gat gun let alone anything else.

Surly you are mature enough to give your oppinions without being aggresive. or maybe not in this case :hmm:

shooting at moving targets i have done, i have also followed through and considered the shot not safe, this was during a driven Boar shoot. So people do it some wont do it, so thats life, but taking a shot at distance and hitting the target well thats most probably spending more of so called life practicing that paticular discipline.

Come on chaps stop acting so :lol: or stop posting.

I can put a 6.5mm round into the boiler room of a deer at 100 yards every time... I could probably do at 200 but wouldn't really want to take the chance in the field and then could carry on doing it with varying degrees of success out to 500 yards but wouldn't.... If you cannot guarantee a safe, quick killing shot you should not take it...

A fox is no less worthy of your respect than a deer so why would you shoot at a runner of one species and not the other at difficult distances. You may have had a good success rate up to now but that does not make what you are doing either right or safe..

The only time you should be shooting at a moving target with a rifle is if you are trying to dispatch a wounded animal that you didn't get first time... in reality this should be a rarity :lol:

As for the OP.... there is absolutely no reason why he can't make those shots.... whether he should be attempting to is a different matter! The only part of the write up I am dubious about is the rifle cloverleafing using factory ammunition straight after being cleaned.... not many factory spec rifles will cloverleaf fullstop, with factory ammo even less so and just after being cleaned almost unheard of! Although I would say that you have a better chance of this happening with a Tikka than most others :hmm:

Edited by Vipa

I can put a 6.5mm round into the boiler room of a deer at 100 yards every time... I could probably do at 200 but wouldn't really want to take the chance in the field and then could carry on doing it with varying degrees of success out to 500 yards but wouldn't.... If you cannot guarantee a safe, quick killing shot you should not take it...

A fox is no less worthy of your respect than a deer so why would you shoot at a runner of one species and not the other at difficult distances. You may have had a good success rate up to now but that does not make what you are doing either right or safe..

The only time you should be shooting at a moving target with a rifle is if you are trying to dispatch a wounded animal that you didn't get first time... in reality this should be a rarity :lol:

As for the OP.... there is absolutely no reason why he can't make those shots.... whether he should be attempting to is a different matter! The only part of the write up I am dubious about is the rifle cloverleafing using factory ammunition straight after being cleaned.... not many factory spec rifles will cloverleaf fullstop, with factory ammo even less so and just after being cleaned almost unheard of! Although I would say that you have a better chance of this happening with a Tikka than most others :hmm:

I agree complety, but I know I can shoot 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards, I zero at 200 yards, so obviously I am confident of being able to do what you are not.

The reason I treat the deer in a different way is, I dont need to shoot it, if I dont shoot I know I can go back the next day or the day after and I will shoot him then, I also do not want to damage the carcass.

It seems that some peoples idea is shooting foxes is purily for pleasure. I will say again, foxes are vermin, we have a pheasant shoot, we have 4000 pheasant poults, we have 200 rare breed chicken.

I am gone shoot trap kill charlie by any means possible WITHIN THE LAW!

Edited by Dempy

:lol: Some good points, but i dont get this..."your not showing your quarry respect shooting them at range" seriously, not wanting to get into an arguement, discussion yes,

I shoot foxes at 100 yards and over and do so regularly, for vermin control, ........how is shooting then at say 200 yards showing less respect?

I spend just as long lining up the shot for 100yards as 200yards and 99% of the time off my pod, and as yet have not missed at that range!!! and certainly havent needed a follow up shot. SOOOO how is it not respectful to shoot an animal dead at 200 yards but it is at 100 yards.....IF you are capable?

Dead is dead.

The running shot is the same, if you are capable why is it disrespectful? Im sure the fox doesnt think "Ill kill this pheasant quick out of respect" as he destroys all your poults?

Deer are different, the Deer Society recommend a sub 100 yards shot and thats what i aim for, having never shot a deer at over 70 yards I have stuck to it!!!

Sub 100 yards??! Deer has a clean kill zone the size of a dinner plate, I can hit that a hell of a lot further away than 100 yards, each and every time. Always keep the distance as short as possible, but if a close shot isn't around I don't mind taking a longer one.

:lol: Some good points, but i dont get this..."your not showing your quarry respect shooting them at range" seriously, not wanting to get into an arguement, discussion yes,

I shoot foxes at 100 yards and over and do so regularly, for vermin control, ........how is shooting then at say 200 yards showing less respect?

I spend just as long lining up the shot for 100yards as 200yards and 99% of the time off my pod, and as yet have not missed at that range!!! and certainly havent needed a follow up shot. SOOOO how is it not respectful to shoot an animal dead at 200 yards but it is at 100 yards.....IF you are capable?

Dead is dead.

The running shot is the same, if you are capable why is it disrespectful? Im sure the fox doesnt think "Ill kill this pheasant quick out of respect" as he destroys all your poults?

Deer are different, the Deer Society recommend a sub 100 yards shot and thats what i aim for, having never shot a deer at over 70 yards I have stuck to it!!!

I don't think anyone has mentioned shooting at 200 yards being a lack of respect... shooting at 200 yards at t an animal running at full tilt is, and in the middle of the night is bloody dangerous!

As for not being confident shooting at 200 yards :hmm: the best bit of stalking is the stalk, I would take all deer at 20 yards if I was capable of getting that close... 200 yard shots just don't represent the challenge I am looking for, may as well stand in a field and shoot cows!

I don't think anyone has mentioned shooting at 200 yards being a lack of respect... shooting at 200 yards at t an animal running at full tilt is, and in the middle of the night is bloody dangerous!

As for not being confident shooting at 200 yards :lol: the best bit of stalking is the stalk, I would take all deer at 20 yards if I was capable of getting that close... 200 yard shots just don't represent the challenge I am looking for, may as well stand in a field and shoot cows!

Dude, you should see one of my permissions! I'm nearly tripping over the bleeders, literally! They've taken to lying down and resting in the hay meadow and the grass is so long you can't see them until you're on top of them.